Greek teacher in Bahrain

Hi! I am new in Bahrain!

I find driving in Bahrain difficult

Hi,

why ?

Because I've never driven before an automatic car. Moreover I have been to Bahrain for almost six weeks and I have seen a lot of accidents.

Hi Zachoulis,

When one come from Europe, he isn't usually used to drive an automatic car. As far as the driving is concerned, you just need to understand that Bahrainis are nice and cool people EXCEPT when they have a steering wheel in hands !!!
Each and everyone here drives like he is alone on the road however dense the traffic can be... Once you know that, you drive your way, listen to cool lounge music in your car and breathe a lot. After sometimes, you'll even find them funny !  :D

Is the driving in Greece much better ?

I hope you will find your way here....

Cheers

Olivier

Hi Zachoulis

Welcome to Bahrain and expat-blog :)

About driving, You just need to drive in Bahrain a few times and before you know it, you will get the hang of it. Then you will just go with the flow :cool:

I've always felt that Automatic cars are easier to drive than manual and less effort is needed :| Although, i've only ever seen one manual car here in Bahrain. If it helps, drive around on a Friday morning to familiarize yourself with roads here in Bahrain and to get the hang of an automatic car. The roads are generally quiet..until night time :blink:

Olivier,
Greetings.. I know exactly what you mean .. :one

Jaz
:cheers:

Hi! I would like to share my experience from that Friday driving... I took the wrong way back to Riffa and I ended up to a police check point... They were very polite and helpful but still..

If Friday doesn't work for you, may be try Saturday?..as everyday has a different story to tell :whistle:

That's a good idea! Do you think I will be more lucky on a Saturday Morning? I will try and I will let you know...!!!

Well it depends on where you're going really. Some areas are more busier than others... Keep trying and you will get the hang of it .. :)

How long did it take you to get used to driving here?

It took me a few months here to get used to the driving..
At 1st i did find it a bit strange to drive on the right hand side of the road as where i come from its the opposite :|

I did make the mistake of driving on the wrong side of the road too  :blink:  but you learn from your mistake :) - Once you get to know a few roads, you will expand your driving radius and venture out. Then you just go with the flow ;)

You will get there - keep persevering :D

_/---\_
  {-O---O-}      ;)

Thank you for the advice!!!

Another Greek in Bahrain, fantastic, although driving in Exarcheia where I am from is considerably more difficult then driving in Bahrain.

I find the driving standards in Bahrain are the worst I've ever seen anywhere in the world.  In 22 years of driving in Ireland, which has it's own issues with bad driving I can tell you, I only ever had one accident and that was my own fault, falling asleep at the wheel.  Within two months of arriving in Bahrain I was involved in an accident that could have killed me had I not been as lucky as I was, funnily enough this Bahraini guy seemed to want to drive on the side of the road that I'm used to!  Every day I feel like I'm risking my life to just go to the shops.  Best get used to bad driving standards, here it seems to be the norm to drive like you're on a racetrack...and watch out for flying Nissan Altimas...:rolleyes::D

Hi
Driving if well managed in crowd and Rush hours , can't be a problem any way .

Hi everybody
It pleases me so much to share my experience with all expats in Bahrain

I agree that almost ALL of the drivers here are TERRIBLE.  If there is a stop sign maybe they will stop or maybe they will just slow down right before they pull out in front of you.   

Highway/Interstate driving is pretty normal, but the innercity drivers are so very terrible.

The best one is when changing lanes or turning into the side roads..hardly any one uses their indicators! Driving at high speeds on the highway and changing lanes while using the mobile phone too. :mad:

And for "Flying Nissan Altimas" well i think at least Bahrain is prepared for the next generation of motor/aircraft vehicles :D

I think Michael Jackson invested in a flying car didnt he? :proud

Hi My dear
Driving isn't difficult any way .It's very easy .The problem is in your trainer who isn't faithful or clever enough .
Try to get in touch to help you
Best Regards
Edu consultant
Bahrain

Hi everybody!

To tell you the truth as time passes you start to get used to some things and driving starts to seem less difficult!!

Hi Zachoulis,
You just have to go with the flow.. ;)
When i say this i dont mean do bad things on the road or drive dangerously...drive with caution and be alert..
Glad to hear the driving is getting less difficult.. :)

Hang in there..
Jaz

Hi Zachoulis !

Good to read that :p
But please don't become one of them :D

Cheers

Olivier

My mother once said, ''if you can't join 'em, beat 'em'' ...I finally understand what she meant :) when it rained last week, the driving was most pleasant. Coming from a country where the predominant weather is wet, always, driving here in the rain is like being at home on what we would call in Ireland 'a grand soft day'. I found it highly amusing to see the looks of abject terror on faces and the glow of white knuckles through tinted windows in cars doing 50-60kph as I cruised along at 100. If it rained in Bahrain more often, the roads would be a lot safer.

I have noticed not all roads have drains here which can be quite dangerous when water collects and causes large puddles...especially on the highway... but again, drive carefully and you should be ok..

Jaz