Moving to Guangzhou

hi everyone,

I am moving to guangzhou at the end of June 2012 for a 1 year work placement. I am looking to make some new contacts so that i know some people when i arrive. I will be teaching english for a company out of my University, housing will be paid for and i'll recieve a monthly stipend of 5,000 rmb for the first 3 months then going up to 7,000 rmb. is this enough to live on?? i have no idea what the costs of everyday living are and need to know if i should be saving to help supplement my income. also are there alot of americans living in guangzhou and typically how do you feel about the city? what is there to do? do you find the people there friendly? i love the outdoors, music, bars/clubs, culture, adventure. thanks to all who reply and looking forward to making some new friends.

Tim

Tim,

I'm new to GZ but I like it thus far...except for the apartment hunters/scammers service.  The food is the biggest surprise for me thus far (amazing!), but there aren't very many english speaking chinese people, which is making it tough. 

It's funny that you state your income on a forum, but if you're ok with that then so am I.  Something tells me that that's just a ball park figure anyways.  ;)

Taking into consideration a US conversion rate, you're looking at about $1200/month, which is really up to you to decide if that's good enough, but it seems like you're young and it would be a good experience to just be here anyways.  Things are about 30% cheaper for me and there's no tax so that's a bonus!

Don't know enough about this place to comment further, but I'll know better after at least one drunken bar hopping night.

Derek

Ahhh i luv Christina Aguilera, Rihanna n Beyonce:cool: They're the queens to me hah!
Plus ur salary is pretty decent here as most of graduates' r much lower than yours.. So no worry about it.

Derek

thanks for the info it was defenitly helpful, i dont mind stating the income cause i am trying to figure out the cost of living in the city. I know enough chinese that i wont be completely lost upon arrival but ill def be learning while i am there. Hearing about amazing food is an added bonus for me i am a food fanatic. please feel free to let me know how the night life is after a couple drunken nights

thanks,

tim

Hi, Tim~
i was born and raised in Guangzhou. i love Guangzhou. and i hope everyone comes here would like it too.
living in guangzhou won't cost you too much, it's enough to keep you having comfortable and wonderful life for 5,000 rmb income. i have a house for lease, but it seems it's too big for a single guy to rent. no worry about house, it's easy to find a fit house in guangzhou.
if you need any more information or tips about Guangzhou, please feel free to send me an e-mail/MSN: [email protected]

hope you enjoy the life in Guangzhou~!

Swing
(well, Swing is my English name, though it doesn't sound like an English name... )

hi
can anyone tell me about the personal tax for expat?
how much rent for a 3 bedroom apartment with good facility?
any international school with yearly fess less than US$15K?

regards

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Thanks cherry. do you know how much the international school charge for 11 & 13 years old?

Cheers

hi shoelim would you like to e-mail me to [email protected]? coz we are not allow to talk about fees in this forum. my messages i left for you were removed.