Sat Nav in Mauritius

Hello all,
I'm coming over to Mauritius in January to furnish my apartments and will be visiting a number of furniture outlets, stores and generally just visiting a lot of people around the island.
I'm hiring a car for the task and would like to know about the standard of Sat Navs on the island. Indeed, are they available in Mauritius and how functional are they?
Of course, I am more than capable of reading a map/chart (I'm a yachtsman remember!) but you can't beat a quality Sat Nav.
Thanks in anticipation.

here we stare at the stars to navigate so your yatchsman's skills would be very useful:-)
regards
Van

...but aside from the useful comment on astro navigation does anyone know about Sat Navs?
Cheers.

to my humble knowledge, GPS does not work here.

Many thanks Van. A quality map it shall be then.

hi warmup and vanvu76,

garmin works here, u can get it in some rare stores!

i have one working, unless pretty rainy weathers, and near mountain feets,u can get updates within 1 sec, and voices as well..

cheers
I77

GPS works here. I found it very usefull for me to move around the island

Hi Warmup,
You can get a Garmin SatNav with pre-loaded Mauritius map from a Company called Naveo. They are based in Moka.
naveo.mu/new/files/page.php?lang=1&id1=20

Thanks Sachin - most helpful.

hope it works fine 4 you yachtsman!

itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-mauritius/id344149728?mt=8 has a pretty decent map and I use it regularly.

Sometimes, however, I need to find the correct latitude/longitude on Google Maps and input it in ToTom because it won't find the street, especially outside of big cities.

sachin_seesurrun wrote:

Hi Warmup,
You can get a Garmin SatNav with pre-loaded Mauritius map from a Company called Naveo. They are based in Moka.
naveo.mu/new/files/page.php?lang=1&id1=20

Thanks for that. Ive driven all over Europe and the satnav has been indispensable. Once in the Philippines however I was obliged to rent a car for a trip in to Manilla. Id specifically asked for a car with satnav and they assured me that they could do it.

Well they could and they did.

When I asked why the maps hadn't been loaded, I was greeted with blank expressions.

You have to put map in? Not what I wanted to hear.

Well, I lived to tell the tale. Done a lot of driving in my life but I wont be driving there again unless the car is armor plated and has caterpillar tracks.

I have a good Garmin SATNAV and I would like to know if I can update it to the map of Mauritius. Thank you

Hello
I dont think it will work as i had a tom tom gps in the pass purchase putside mauritius.. Still can try naveo in mauritius..

when i was there i just got a prepaid sim data card and used waze or google maps, just works like a charm.. no need for anything else if you ask me.

I noticed apartments, plural. Are they for you or for renting out ?