Just how dangerous is Guate nowadays?

I have to go to Belize for 6 months to a year and during summer I would like to visit Guate, especially highlands, as it is cooler. Found a lovely house on Lake Atitlan to rent for 2-3 months, but how about getting there?  I heard the maras target buses nowadays, both turist busses and even chicken buses and I would have a long ride from Puerto Barrios, so I wonder...

A topic nobody prefers to talk about?  Is the situation THAT bad???

I don't think any more dangerous, nowadays, than Belize. You have to be prudent, educate yourself as to where it is safest and where it is unsafe, knowing that no place in the whole area is completely safe. And I include large regions of Mexico and Honduras in this. These are developing regions with poverty, crime and drug trafficking problems, in general. Travel in group situations, for example, and in bus companies you can rely on not having been held up before. Do they offer security on board?  Plenty of us expats live and travel around Guatemala and have been doing so for years, so one survives and can have a good time.  The main problem these days is the terrible weather, mudslides, floods, roads disintegrating, etc. I would not recommend traveling to Atitlan by bus these days due to the weather more than anything else.  November should be better.

Hi,
I leave in Atitlan and it is not bad that bad (crimes speaking) weather yes.. The roads right now are particularly damaged and it is hard to go and come to the Lake and better avoid it until the rainy season is over.. Coming from Puerto Barrios if you take a Pullman service you will be fine .. so far the gangs have been targeted inter-cities bus close to the capital.Then when you arrive in Guatemala jump into a taxi to take you to a big hotel where you could catch a tourist shuttle to Lake Atitlan.
And if you want to play very safe you can have a private driver to pick you up from Puerto Barrios to the lake.. or you can also hump on one of the several tourist shuttle coming from this area...
[Moderated: no free ads on the forum plz]
Best
Armand

I have had trouble in the Peten Department, but in the south, I have not had any.  I take the bus from Esquipulas in both directions.  That is not to say that it will not happen, this country still has some very bad people, but so does the US.  BTW, the US Embassy in Belize requires their people to get advanced permission to travel into Guate, but they are near the Western Border, which leads directly into Peten.  When I go to Belize, about every 6 weeks, I have been flying.  With the price of gas, it works out to about the same amount.

Hello everybody, I am planning to move to antigua, is it safe? is my idea is completly silly to move? I am from France.
Do you think that I can live there and find a good job to live at least?
Thank you to write something about the situation if it safe or not, please ;)

And ... I have two dogs. Do you know someone who move with an animal to guatemala? ;)

Situations are always fluid and change with angle of the sun.  Antigua has had it's problems, just as anywhere else, and as with most Latin countries, police are very slow to respond when they know it is one of theirs against a foreigner.  The usual precautions are always the best rule.  There are more homeless in Antigua than in most other places, so caution is always needed after dark.  Jobs are low pay and work is 6 days per week.  A lot of Americans are coming down, due to the political instability in the US, and for the most part,those with money are going further down to Costa Rica and Panama, so you MAY be competing with others for jobs as those with no money tend to land in Guate.  Securing a job before striking out is the best way.  As for the dogs, I do not know the import rules on animals, but there are thousands of strays here already.  In Antigua, they have a rescue and rehabilitation program, and you may consider leaving yours with family and getting a new one here.  Most strays are simply shot in the rest of the country, so you would be doing an animal a big favor by saving it's life.

Unfortunately yes many strays are being killed as well as poisoned and many cannot be saved even by rescue organizations due to over population and very few willing to rescue rather than purchase a puppy. As for bringing your dogs it depends on the airline, many companies have different regulations. I for one have to wait until my mother comes from the us to visit to bring mine she also needed a specific crate veterinary papers and to travel with the animal, which is all worth it. Just giving up a loved one even a pouch is hard. As for work yes 6 days a week is the norm and call centers usual become best for multilingual folk such as us. As for violence its in every part of the world yes a little more here due to poverty just stay alert and you'll be fine. Its an amazingly beautiful country with an amazing amount of history, visit and you can make your own decision I say. Moving is always a big step. I visited and within six days of returning to boston I was packing and sending my belongings and happy with my decision.

Hi everybody,

I really appreciated and thank you a lot for having answering.
My mum came in france to visit me and I am now selling my stuff here and looking for coming in guatemala.
How you're doing? Is still ok your life in Guate?

A quick update. I have found that I can travel from Belize borders to lake Atitlan in a semi-private van (with all my luggage and my two cats)  for a little over $200. I also decide to spend April at Lake Izabal in the hot and humid part of Guate before moving to Atitlan. Yes, I know the weather will be better in November, but in November I want to be snorkeling the barrier reef off Cozumel, Yal Ku lagoon at Atitlan etc.
But i would prefer to spend summer in a cooler climate nearby and now I found the info I needed. Thanks all who contributed. :)

Actually I've heard Belize is more dangerous than Guatemala. There a buses that are targeted but my husband and I have made the trip to Puerto Barrios several times without incident.

hola a todos

les escribo para contarles que me siento muy feliz al poder comunicarme con ustedes y estoy para servires en cualquier duda hacerca de la vida de la ciudad de guatemala.

Hi Mike, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie.

Honestly , after living here 17 years and working in the tourism industry with thousands of customers coming from all over the world .. it all depends of HOW you travel (yes, chickenbuses are goiing fast and at night dangerous) , WHEN (as said .. why should you travel at night) , with WHO (most of the robberies are happening with the knowledge of the owner of the buisness talking about tour operating .. happens when you don,t pay your people well )and of course WHERE ... there are places in the capital but also for ej. between el rancho and coban , or on the road between xela and colomba .. unsafe ... my advice .. work through decent companies and you will be safe and secure ... as 99 % of the people visiting us !

I currently live in Guatemala and I have to laugh about all the perceived dangers for tourists.
It has to be one of the safest places I have lived.

I was raised in LOndon for 18 years very violent place if you mixed with a certain type of people
I lived in

Every country has it's 'bad' areas, as I posted elsewhere. So being awake and aware of your surroundings will keep you out of trouble.

I'm currently in Seattle, and there are plenty of places I won't go to whether it's day OR night time lol

We have been to Rio Dulce and back to Guatemala City a few times on the Litegua bus. No problems. Some friends use this service on occasion also. Nice bus. Some are air conditioned.

What is the safest method to travel from Guatemala City airport to Antigua?

jrhouser39 wrote:

We have been to Rio Dulce and back to Guatemala City a few times on the Litegua bus. No problems. Some friends use this service on occasion also. Nice bus. Some are air conditioned.

What mode of transport do you recommend for touring while we use Antigua as our home base during our upcoming visit?

ajmediator wrote:
jrhouser39 wrote:

What mode of transport do you recommend for touring while we use Antigua as our home base during our upcoming visit?

There are a number of tour companies operating from Antigua. You can contract with them to take you to the usual placed in one of their vans. If you are going to someplace their tours do not go (El Injerto coffee farms at Hehuetenango for instance), Take the Litegua bus to Huehue and have somebody from the farm pick you up or arrange for transport to the farm. Litegua has a terminal in Antigua.

If you use a taxi, call the taxi company and have them send a taxi to your location. Hailing a taxi off the street is not the safest procedure. Most taxi and bus or van drivers do not speak English. Stay off any inner city and chicken buses (school buses grafted to commercial use).

ajmediator wrote:

What is the safest method to travel from Guatemala City airport to Antigua?

you can google Antigua Guatemala Transportation Or Guatemala Airport Transportation for shuttle companies that can take you to Antigua. Or, if you want to wing it, there are usually tour or hotel buses from Antigua at the airport soliciting passengers.

Just write me ... living and working here already a long time so knowing when/how and where .... feel welcome to ask !! I am living in the Western part , in Quetzaltenango and lots of knowledge about totonicapan, huehuetenango, san marcoas , retaluheu and of course xela, the indigenous name for Quetzaltenango

Hi Patrick: I just sent you an email at your gmail account.

PatrickinGuatemala, I'd write you by personal message if I knew how. What the hey?

I am 78, F. No illnesses. Am on ecigs for the past 6+ months. I have--so a friend told me-- exzema (spelling??). She said hydrocortisone should be used.

About 4 years ago I had a cataract operation on one eye.  Now 20 in the operated eye and 40 in the left eye. Doctor, then, told me in about 3 years--which is now up--to do the other eye.  I have no symptoms. Am wondering whether LAZER will do the trick. Is that nonsurgical procedure available in Guatemala?

No alcohol use--except if I am out with friends for dinner. 3 Bloody Marys in a year. No drugs.

If I find some male --never been with a old man--I'll be happier and will last until I'm 100.  LOL.

Where is the best place for a chunky old lady to live in GT? Am an attorney-turned-author--at least trying. Two books on Amazon, 2 others begun (one ready for an agent--if I'm lucky). Have a few nonfiction on back burners.

Oh,, I used to sculpt and do fairly okay portraits.
Barb, a to-be-pensionada

Don't bother sending Patrick a personal message, I tried and he said he wasn't interested in personal messaging after giving out his personal email address lol

Be well :)

How hard is it to find a part-time job there? I know computers pretty well, photography, video and editing. I also do some graphic art and will expand into any area that has an opening.
I am looking at possible retirement, at least part-time.
Are there many single women there? Or is it going to be a problem for someone not married?

Are there any areas that are safer from hurricanes there? Does a permanent resident risk losing everything annually, or is the weather and mortality reasonably avoidable?
My friend has just been there for a vacation and said it was great, but a visit is not the same as moving there.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Steve....

Steve, i am living 27 years here now and never lost ANYTHING in a hurricane etc...
Feel welcome to ask for more
Patrick

Strange DQ ... strange .... why would you do that ?

PatrickinGuatemala wrote:

Strange DQ ... strange .... why would you do that ?

Not strange at all. You posted your email address for us to contact you. I sent you an email saying that I wanted to contact you and chat about Antigua and Guatemala because i was moving there. You replied for me to talk to your assistant, that you did not have an interest in conversing.

That's why I posted what I did.

DQ

What about working in Guatemala. Do most jobs require Spanish and English speaking people?

That's promising! What area are you living? When I pulled up all the stats on Guate I was shocked about all the negatives! You know, bad weather, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, civil unrest, gang problems, transportation problems and issues-- the list goes on and on!
I am not rich, so my options may not be as good as yours and I am dubious about what I will do there--as I am a technocrat! I love movies, computers and cameras! I am also very artistic and have done a lot of construction, some automotive and tech stuff.
I might be useful there, or I could be a fish out of water. I may get a free trip there in October to check it out.
I think visiting would be a great adventure, but I do not know if it would be practical to move there yet.
Any feedback would be great---Steve

Crime is anywhere. I HAVE been robbed from my hotel room in San Jose,Costa Rica and also been attacked severely again at a beach area in Costa Rica. I have also been in zone 1 at 2am in the morning, alone! with no assault. I have also been in Antigua, walking home at 12 midnight and had three guys try and corner me but i knew the area and evaded them. So I guess it is just a matter of where you are and when you are there.

Good afternoon donmemo :)

Well that's great info to know! I am leaving in June to drive to Antigua. What prompted you to relocate to Guatemala? I do know that there are alot of ignorant fools out there who perpetrate lies and fear about Guatemala, but I do my OWN research and talk to folks who are already living there, like yourself, and get my OWN information. Nothing like believing in ignorance while making a decision on where to relocate.

There is much violence in all countries on this planet -- so you do the research, make the smart choice and move forward or sit and do nothing.

I am gleefully looking forward to relocating to a place I have researched for two years :)

Looking forward to meeting up with folks when I arrive!

Cheers!

DQ

I am bringing my own dogs with me -- I have allergies, so I have Poodles which don't aggravate allergies. Just get the proper paperwork and do the research. You can bring your pets. I would NEVER leave mine behind, EVER.

http://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-passport-guatemala/

There is the link. Do some research and make sure that's all you need. If you are driving through Mexico, you should get one for Mexico too.

However, I am planning on becoming connected with the animal shelters there to see how I can help :)

Buena Suerte!

DQ

Curious. How much are you paying for an apartment or casa/casita?
A real estate broker wrote saying there was nothing under $800  per month in Antigua?  Is that true?

Hi Barbara :)

I am renting a house when I get there. There is more than one real estate agent in Antigua, so check out more than one.

http://www.casanova.com.gt/en/search/by … tPrecio/n/

That is a link you can use to start -- as you will see, they have many that are under $800/month. It just depends on where you want to live. And, call them, ask where the area is located -- near or far from Antigua.

Buena Suerte Mi Amiga!

DQ

Guatemala is as dangerous as any other country in the region. One recent person posted that there is more crime in Miami in one day that in Guatemala in a year. That my friends is a lie. Guatemala has its share of crime. It should not be sugar-coated. However, even though it has crime I have never felt uncomfortable in the 20 years I have lived here. I live in Guatemala City and I have lived in Antigua and for about six months in Quetzaltenango, known here as Xela.

I am married with two children and I take my family anywhere and everywhere, with the exception of certain areas of the city that are known to be gang infested. Just as in NY, Chicago, Boston or Los Angeles, there are places you do not go.

Antigua is the Jewel of the Americas. Colonial ruins, centuries old monasteries and convents and cobblestone streets throughout the town. This is the most popular place for visitors and expats. I lived there for about a year, but when the wife became pregnant we moved back to the City to be close to her family. We are considering moving back to Antigua so my wife can open an art gallery and I can open an pizza shop.

If anyone has any specific questions about visiting, living or anyting related to Guatemala, do not hestitate to contact me. Of course I might not answer right away but I promise within 24 to 48 hours.

Saludos.

Thanks for the information. I will be visiting there towards the end of October for about a month. Your information seems very straight forward and pretty easy to follow.

It's just getting into a whole different environment which is always a little stressful, as I will be traveling alone. So I will need to plan as much as possible to give me some stress relieve--until I get settled. And then start exploring.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve