New immigration policies

I have been checking out some other sites and have discovered that the requirements are now different than I have read. The amount of money required has gone up a significant jump. As an example, You used to have to prove an income of $600 dollars/month to get Pensionado status, now it is $1000 as of March 2011. And that was the cheapest! I am also a little confused about what or how to get residency without having to prove I have this much money available for, well, indefinitely. I want to be able to work, so I really could not come in as a pensioner anyway. Should I just try to go the English Teaching route? Would that give me 'temporary' residency for a couple years until I could apply for permanent residency? Does anyone know?
I also have some questions about what kind of licensing rules/laws there are for massage therapists. I am licensed here in the states, but what would I need to do in order to practice there? Any suggestions on who I can contact about these issues?(must be someone who can speak English as I don't know Spanish yet) I guess these last questions also apply to my Veterinary technician licensing.
  This has me concerned about the new money restrictions, it looks like they are trying to keep people OUT with these new policies. Only the rather well-to-do need apply! I was looking to find a cheaper place to live, but at this rate, it doesn't look like CR will be it :(

The immigration laws changed 2, maybe 3 years ago.  As far as we know, you CAN'T work in Costa Rica except under some very limited circumstances.  You can own your own business but I think that requires a huge investment.  Let me recommend you go to the website Welovecostarica.com and do some research there.  It's one of the best sources I've come across in the years we've been studying up to move.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

Yes, the policies have changed. I would recommend contacting my immigration lawyer, Rafael Valverde at [email protected]. He speaks and writes perfect english and will give you all the correct information you need without all the hearsay.
He has helped me and and a number of friends successfully.
Good luck!

Thanks DDTico! I am not ready to move right now, this is something I am planning a year and a half or 2 years from now. I know that there can be a lot of changes between now and then, but this is good info to have. I will keep his contact info, when it becomes clearer on just exactly when I plan on leaving USA, I will start the ball rolling. For right now I am just 'fact finding'. I'd hate to take up his valuable time when I am not anywhere even close to leaving just yet.

Christy I am unsure about all the laws but do know that there is a lot of conflicting information. I have a lawyer in CR who is working through residency for me. I was required to make $2500 a month without working in CR. As for working I don't believe you can legally work there even with your own business until you have a residency permit and then get the correct permission and visa to do so.
That said lots of people do go and live there for a time working like you intend to as massage therapists etc. There are some challenges but I know people who have done it for quite some time.

As for the cheaper living that is true to some degree depending on the kind of living you choose. Food and power are fairly expensive. I just got back to the states in April and where I was living 500g of cheese was about 2500 to 3000 colones and I found that many of the costs were quite a bit higher than you might pay here. Rent on a comparable standard of living was also similarly priced in a tourist area. I had a 2 small two bedroom semi furnished house with a fenced yard in town and paid $500 plus power water and internet. It was comfortable but in truth you could rent something in the states for that price. If you live further out of town and are willing to forgo screens, washer and full stove top you can find something much cheaper. If you purchase there however I believe you can find a way to live much more cheaply at a comparative standard. Best of luck.