Can my mother be my dependent

Hi
I am planning to move to Mauritius as a salaried professional  and i will be getting an occupational permit.

Can I get my mother along with me as a dependent. Can she live with me as a resident for the period of my stay in Mauritius.

Or will she have to be a tourist and comply with the rules set for tourists.

Hi,
I am not sure if your mother can come here as a dependent. She can enter the country on a 2 month visa then extend the stay thru the immigration for another 4 months. The law does not allow visit visa for more than 6 months in a year.

No, unfortunately the authorities do not consider 'ascendants' as dependents.  For them, dependent is either spouse or kids. As Terence put it, you can only have 6 months in a year on tourist.  Beyond 6 month, you need a residence permit.

I believe that it might be possible depending on her age and possibly her need to be with you. I certainly know of one similar case when a son working here brought his mother over and she was allowed to stay here as a dependant. You need to query this with the relevant authority before ruling it out.

To be able to do this, you will need PMO's clearance.  I handled one similar case, but the applicant won on the ground that the parent was suffering from severe handicap. This is really exceptional.

Settledexpat: could it be that in your case the mother had a different permit and is not really a 'dependent' on his son?

Thanks Terrance and Nadeem...Thanks SettledExpat for giving some hope.

What ever happened with this, did you get your mother through as a dependant?

PJay wrote:

Thanks Terrance and Nadeem...Thanks SettledExpat for giving some hope.

Plenty of hope here.

Is she over 50? Got a bit of money to pump into a bank acocunt?

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/m … itius.html

I'm coming to work in Mauritius with my 7month old daughter, does that mean if I want my parents to be with me to look after her i also need to apply for a special permit? They currently travel everywhere with me to look after my daughter.