Coming back from the paradise

Hi there,
I've just coming back from Mauritius after 2 weeks of holidays.
I just wanted to leave some comments to advice/help who is looking for informations.
I've found the island beautiful, the people (most the creole population) very helpful, smiling and friendly.
The traffic is really dangerous, as teh most of african countries there is no control on circulation :/ , we've rent a car for some days and is very anxiogen to drive in the small towns and Port Louis of course!!!
The cost of living is higer than what we thought, but what makes the difference is often the fact that you are an euoropean, if you pay 100 a mauritian will pay 30! To save money you need to go around and find accomodation, car to rent, food and everything with a mauritian.
We've have had some bad news regarding our plan for moving there, both the internet cafè project and the self employed idea of my partner are too low budget and won't reach the turnover requested from the government.
We'll wait for october, when the 3 years of the recent law will be finished and let's see how they'll act with whom don't reach the turnover.
What else saying...I'm not capable to live yet in italy, as I've come back I'm missing so much Mauritian lifestyle...I really hope to be able to moving there...but we need a new succesfull idea.
Love,
Rain

welcome back and don't lose hope. Keep trying you will definately suceed.

Hi Terence, thanks for your words:)
Rain

As Rain said, don't lose hope. Things might change, and you might have another project idea in a few months

Take care,

Julien

hi rain,
       feel sorry , hope u will soon come up with a better project. Even i want to try my luck and i have a project which deals with FMCG product manufacturing.I just wanted to know if your project was rejected by the government or did you drop it yourself. And can u suggest me and give me any kind of info on how to start with a project in hand.you help will be really appreciated. hope you would share some of your experiences with me.
thanks,
kittu.

Hi Kittu,
of course I will share my experience.
We decided to drop with our first prject (the idea was an internet cafè with a cafeteria) because the turnover could not surely reach the 3 milions of RS (this was an investor application).
The second idea was to make my husband start the application procedure as self employed (he is a web designer) but the BOI told us that all the turnover must be intended only in Mauritius, you can't work even for foreigner companies (that was our idea, he has lots of customers here).
So the next step is to wait til october 09 and see how the government will act with whom won't reach the annual turnover.
If you have your own project don't hesitate to contact the BOI (even via mail) and to start teh application procedure.
Bear in mind that as investor you must reach the 3 milions RS of annual turnover (and it's not such a little amount!!!) and they request you to increase it in the second and third here.
Hope to be helpful :)
Rain

hi,
thanks for the information rain, when i did contact the BOI, they told me that i would be able to register a company and start a business with a occupational permit under the self employed category other than the investor category. what do you think about the idea of starting a manufacturing unit under the self employed category, cos my project can yield 600,000 Mauritian rupees annually but 3million required for the investor category will be a little too much for me to generate.And they asked me to register my company and search for the name availability at ROC (registrar of companies) and then apply for a occupational permit self employed category.What do you think about all this and is th e information i gather valid and practical. do help me ,
thanks,
kittu.

Hi Kittu,
if BOI suggested you to apply as self employed, just do that!!! The turnover will be reacheable and you can still change category if you want.
What kind of manufact will you create?
Rain

thanks rain, my project is about manufacturing FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) products and beverages. i have a company here in India where we manufacture 6 different ready to eat products like Indian pickles, Indian papad(crisps),local branded soft drink and biscuits. Now i am looking to start at least two products initially and start with those which can do well in Mauritius local markets.i need to also check the prices of the raw materials and design a detailed project report for mauritius. As you have been to mauritius, can u tell me if there is Ice Cream Soda available in Mauritius. I am not talking about the one which can be ordered at the mock tail bar but for the carbonated and canned soft drink which can be picked up at any store in and around the place.
thanks,
Kittu.

I dont know how far it is true. I was advised that a rent a car business with 2 cars can give you yearly turnover of more than MUR 600,000 per year. Being a tourist based country it is the safest bet next to appartment rental and investment would be USD 40,000.

Any expert comment on this????