Costa Rica Expat Featured On CNN.com

It's interesting how many people are looking for a different way of living.  I was contacted by a CNN reporter and she wanted to do a story after reading my book.

I believe Costa Rica is really turning into a wonderful retirement area. It's not for everyone, but it is an option for people looking to live on a cheaper budget but still have a high quality of life. I do it for around $1000 a month.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/08/1 … =allsearch

Nadine Pisani
Happier Than A Billionaire

Nice that you got that write up, and lovely pictures!  I am getting the urge more and more everyday to move to CR, but with the economy the way it is, and more importantly, the housing market, I just don't think moving is a viable option right now. I don't think it would be possible for me to sell my house and get what I need to get out of it. I will have some cash from  early retirement, which I will be very thrifty with after needed repairs on this house. Then, I'll have to arrange a long vacation or temporary visa and come down to check things out. Also need to start Spanish lessons soon! What I am afraid of is that by the time I would be ready to move (2 years possibly) is that there will be so many other people leaving and flocking down there that it may be next to impossible to get in, or find anything inexpensive.

There is no rush to make your dream possible.  Although one would think everyone is coming here, so many people decide it's not for them.  Whether they want to stay close to family or didn't realize this is a MAJOR change in their life.

I enjoy the adventure of it, and all the hassles and pitfalls just made really good stories for my book. But I kept a sense of humor and always remembered that I did not come down here to recreate my life in the states.  I wanted something different.

Good luck.  It sounds like you have a plan, and when you are ready, the howler monkeys will be waiting for you.

Thank you! I am encouraged that you don't think there will be hordes of Americans trying to flee down there. I love nature and really am looking to live a more simple way of life. Yes, I can do that here, BUT, with the politics currently going on here, I have no desire to be stuck here if things continue to go downhill as far as personal freedom and invasiveness of government. Plus, it really has gotten too expensive for the majority of people to have a decent standard of living. The robber barons are back bigger and better than ever :(  I feel I have a lot to offer CR, not just the other way around. I am a massage therapist, a veterinary technician and I have a Bachelor's degree in Fine Art. I am 'diversified' you could say :)

Oh and I want to add that I will be buying your book within the next couple months. Look forward to reading it!  Over the last 2 days I have read 2 books on the history of Central America, and the book "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America".