Attention People with Restaurant Experience!

I am going to try and open a small, a HEALTHY, American style fast-food in Morocco, (possibly in Marrakech or Casa, depending on space I can find), and I would like to meet people who have been in the restaurant industry in ANY occupation to get some feedback and advice from.

If you do have experience in the restaurant industry AND have connections on the supply chain (food and equipment suppliers), OR know someone who has experience...please contact me ASAP.

This is for a possible business partnership with me. I am an entrepreneur and with that, there is a risk that the business may fail. I am a risk taker and have started some successful businesses in the past and have helped consult others in improving their operations. If you currently have a job, I don't suggest you quit it to try this venture. You CAN consider a part-time position in my restaurant for extra income. If you are currently seeking a job and are willing to try a possible, successful business, then we can work things out with a wage and a percentage of profits. The short-term plan is to set up the first location in Marrakech. Should it do well, then the second location will open in Casa, then another in Rabat, etc.

Those who I consider to work with me will all benefit including the cooks, servers, managers, and not just partners. Loyalty to the business is rewarded generously if I am able to expand the business concept. Benefits would include profit-sharing for all, plus wages, paid vacation, a free meal, etc. All things depend on how well the sales are in the restaurant of course. Should things do very well, I could consider looking at education tuition benefits in addition. I am a fair but generous boss.

The partner position is a bigger risk because it has more responsibilities. I am also looking to fill the other positions mentioned.
One requirement I ask is that a worker be able to speak BASIC English since I don't speak good Arabic or French. Although I'm Iraqi-American, I will eventually learn the languages of Morocco.
For now, I need to be able to communicate with the workers and with me, it's English.

I will be moving this December.

Thank You.

Robert Oram

Curious to know if you have moved on with your business.
regards

Salut Robert,
Je m'appelle yassine ,j'habite a marrakech ,j'ai 26 ans,je suis diplomer comme technicien de cuisine , j'ai une experience dans pas mal d'hotel et restaurant,la derniere etait au sein de l'hotel PALMERIE GOLF PALACE,j'aime bien ton projet et je suis pret pour faire une etude de marcher enssemble .

[email protected]

tele: 06 58 79 82 82

Hello Yassine, could you please post only in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Robert,
I want to first thoroughly discussed with you on the idea of ​​a food project in Morocco, specially in Marrakesh.

most successful projects in my city projects were fast food, but he managed it depands a good place where there is a lot of activities such as forexample (central gueliz) by c is possible to have a shop of 150m + square space outside.

Most of the ideas of fast food in my town have ideas of Spanish as pocadillos or Italian as pizza or sandwich from ... etc but the people still looking for the new, he would like a fast food which meets these needs Foodstuffs, I have the idea of ​​a wook the baz (chicken, calamart, beef) + vegetables, do it a minute and customers Devandas + animation during cuission (flomber with fire and juggling sauce) that will take 10 minutes maximum, since we will be the first that will make the wook in Marrakesh, but it exists just in the restaurant and hotels lux, also realize that a flat-wook not ask a lot of money, that on one side and another side enssemble find other cheap and delicious speacialite news for people ici.i have already a lot of idea.

About me I am a young man qui'a lot of energy, who likes to take the challenge, as I told you I like a lot of experience, 3 years of hotel business, 2 years probation in golf place, job for a year in the same hotel occupies a specialty Chinese restaurant at 6 months and zen bo as a bar man ..... etc.. I had the same ideas as you Robert, but I had not means, and I stop my work in the hotel, because the salt that the government has set for us does not help me to make a normal life, then I conssacre to music, until a good opportunity like this one.
had a good day and the next:)

Yakindo, please give me your contact information. thanks, Robert

Hello Robert,

This is to let you know that I could be helpful for you when you arrive in Marrakech. I am a Master degree holder in languages and i may be fruitful for you during the establishment of your business in Marrakech. I have been to Italy lately and i have graduated with a diploma in Management and sustainable development. I will be more than happy to meet you and get in touch to discuss the possibilities of how best i can suit and respond to all of your expectations and ambitions.
I look forward to hearing from you and speaking with you very soon.
Best regards
Mohamed

Hello there,

I am a Moroccan-American living in Florida right now .I always thought of moving back to morocco and having a venture , and most likely in the restaurant business since I have a load of experience in that . I started a couple of businesses here , as you know by the end of 2008 things went south,and I had to sell before I went belly up. To keep the story short , I am planning on making the move by the end of this year and  I am liking the idea of a partnership ,please tell me more about your plans and we will take it from there.(if you are interested of course )

Regards

Abdel

Dear Robert,

My name is Halim from Malaysia. I have an experience in food catering but mostly Asian Food.  From my point of view, it is unwise to setup a American food outlet in Morocco as it is quite common there especially in Casa, Marakesh and Rabat.  Why not try something that is new and temptional food like Asian food.  Actually Asian food is a mixture of Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Malaysian food.
Based on my experience abroad like in Hawaii, South Africa, Ethiopia and Mauritania, most people would go for spicy food staff.  Why not give it a try and with God's willing, you can be a successful man.
This is only my suggestion and the choice is yours.

Best Regards,

Halim Ghani;)

hi its good idea i need to know how experienced you are in restaiurant it will be internatinal or oriental food

Halim, thanks for your input. My favorite food is Asian but my focus at the moment is American style. I did much research and found there really isn't authentic American style foods in Morocco. McDonalds and Burger king and KFC do not count. The larger they get, the worst their food quality gets. It's just impossible to maintain high quality ingredients en masse to people at their level of production. They end up using some garbage mix of ingredients because they are cheaper and increase their profit margin much. My business is going to be all fresh, organic ingredients. Bread made fresh daily! Sauces made fresh. The meats will come from local butchers daily. I won't make as much profit margin per recipe, but my focus is on making customers real happy and loyal, and they will come back and not feel bad they are eating bad food because mine will be all fresh. I will have a good selection for vegetarians also.
One extra I'm adding in my menu is some Mexican food to introduce to Morocco.

Maybe if things go really well, I could consider opening an Asian fusion type of restaurant but affordable not just to tourists but the locals...they are the most important...because they live there.  ;)
Please keep in touch.

Robert

Taramal, hi..
I have several years working in fast-food places but more importantly, I love to cook and experiment much. I have been business-minded since the age of 5 when I worked at my parent's little grocery market. I have started different businesses in the pas (successful one's), and have helped many improve their own..like gas station, hotels, retail and more. I had many people wanting me to be partners in their businesses when they didn't trust their own family or relatives.
My credentials are very good and my references are impressive..but I'm not looking for a job...I'm going to create it for the locals. I'm an Entrepreneur. We don't need resumes to prove our skills...it will show in the business we create.  LOL

Robert

Hi Robert,

I am an entrepreneur myself, and am setting up a bussiness in Casablanca. I totally agree with your american food concept. There is nothing here, and the american Coffeeshop place which is about the only one that serves Starbuck's like Latte's and carrotcake is swamped. (Starbucks will be opening soon in the Morrocco mall)
But presonally i think you should maybe consider opening first in Casablanca. There is a huge anglophone community here all dying to get some american food. There is this Tex mex place, but it is more like morroccan mix in a fajita, not the real thing at all.And besides that, any new concept works here. They love new things.
I have thought of opening a diner with girls serving the food on  rollerblades, and the diner food (that worked great in Moscow where I used to live) but have no time...
Anyway, just wanted to share my opinion.
Good luck!

Hi Gilen,thanks for contacting me. I would like to meet you for coffee one day if you can. what is your number? What kind of business are you setting up?
I chose Marrakech because it's more touristy and and I want to capture that market as well as the locals and make my food affordable to both types of customers. My phase II will be to open a second place and in Casa if things go well with my first fast-food. 
As for coffee, I used to be an importer/exporter and gourmet coffee roaster so I know what the best coffee is like. Starbucks is NOT a good brand but it is very busy in London mainly because of the name and the business concept. Personally, they suck and my coffee was MUCH better because I did not mix my beans with low quality. First thing first, if all goes well with my first fast food, I will include my own brand of coffee and tea to introduce to Morocco. As for TexMex, it's funny but that is also in my 3 year plan for Morocco...to open a FULL fast food Mexican restaurant and I can cook all the dishes since I've lived around Mexicans all my life in San Diego, California. I have many Mexican friends here who are chefs and all are interested in moving to Morocco when I want to start that business idea. lol
But for now, I will have some Mexican food in my menu like:
Burrittos, Tacos, Quesadillas, Enchiladas, Tortas, etc.

Your idea of having girls serve food on rollerblades is something we have in the US already. Have you done the research on the feedback of the locals of this idea? A muslim country might be different for certain businesses.

I am glad we met. I like other entrepreneurs very much.

Take care,
robert

Hi,

My name is Denis, I am a Turkish-Canadian and live in Vancouver Canada, I am planning to move to Morocco in Jan. 2012.

I have 40 years restaurant and hotel experience, I am open for any investment or manage restaurant.

Take care,

Denis

Denis, thanks for contacting me. Is it 100% you are moving to Morocco? And if so, what city exactly? Tell me more about your restaurant experience. You know that my concept is just a simple, small fast-food style yes? And for a partner, I have to get a Moroccan with contacts in the local supply chain and with restaurant work. For a manager job, I think your background might work but nothing is certain until we actually meet in person.

What languages can you speak?
What sort of pay are you looking to get in Morocco? Of course, we all know that it's less than in the US or in Canada, but economically, Morocco is the 1st rate country in all of Africa.

Robert
Give me your contact info also please.
Thanks.

Hi Robert,

Good luck with your project, it sounds great. I have recently moved to Casablanca from London and I am very excited by the idea of a GBK/Ed's diner kind of place - you already have me signed up as a regular for your Casa branch.

Gilen, what type of business are your starting up? I would love to hear more, I am currently looking for opportunites :)

Regards,

Diya