Moving to zurich in Dec - i think 'help' sums the situation up well!

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of signing a secondment contract and moving out to Zurich, I have a few general queries which I'm sure regulars have heard a hundred times before but my internet searching has not been a success:

1. Rent - I know this varies massively by region within Zurich, but i would literally just be looking to rent a room (preferably a double) within 30 mins of the city centre. Doesn't have to be outstanding quality, what ballpark figures would I be looking at per month?

2. Taxes - This has confused me no end (and I'm an accountant...). Is there no general percentage tax that I can apply to my gross salary of 70,000 CHF to see the net amount? I gather national tax is around 8% but then kanton and municipal goes on top of this?

many thanks to anyone who feels pity for my idiotically basic questions and responds :)

Welcome to Expat.com rbradley10!

Have you tried to take a look at the different discussions of the forum? This may help.;)

Harmonie.

You might want to checkout homegate.ch for accommodation. I've heard wide ranges around CHF100+ for a room in shared accommodation.

For taxes, it does depend on where you live. If you are on secondment though, will you not still receive your home country salary? Anyway, try comparis.ch for the tax calculator for some guidance.

All the best!

thanks Maco! I'm going for 2 years so being moved off UK payroll. Those links look really helpful

Hi,
i just moved to Zurich so I know most of the things you have to do very good. The difficult thing is to find something for living.
Down is a list of the students.ch site. Some of the offers (flats and rooms) are in english too. I found mine there. Otherwise homegate.ch or directly comparis are good.

students.ch/wohnen/list/140/filter:__:0-2500:1-10:0-60#type=__&price_min=0&price_max=2500&rooms_min=1&rooms_max=10&qm_min=0&qm_max=60
For the taxes i have a good site
lohncomputer.ch/en/home.html

when do you come to Zurich? If you need more help or want to drink a beer than i am in.

Greets

When it comes to taxes, beware the following:
- Some of the mandatory social insurances are deducted from your gross income. Examples: unemployment insurance, and the first and second pilar of pension insurance (First pilar is "AHV", second pilar is the pension scheme that your employer offers you).
- lohnrechner.ch is a good site to calculate these mandatory insurances.
- if you are "Quellenbesteuert", (taxed at the source), taxes are automatically deducted from your income. This applies to many, but not all foreigners. As almost everything, the "Quellensteuer" level differs from canton to canton. Whether you are "quellenbesteuert" or not is clearly indicated on the salary specification you receive from your employer. lohnrechner also informs you about the Quellensteuer level that applies to your salary and the canton you live in.
- if you are not "Quellenbesteuert", taxes will not be deducted from your income. "Bund" (Country), Canton and County will tax you based on the income tax declaration form that you'll have to fill out. The rate may differ from the "Quellensteuer". Usually it is a bit lower, so the "Quellensteuer" is a good "upper bound" of what to expect.