Family Reunification and Education

From what I understand, when I move to Denmark next year, I will be able to get legal residency under the family reunification law, as my husband-to-be is English and therefore an EU citizen. 

My plan thus far has been to try to get a part time job somehow, and then go back to school.  But I was just told that if you have been a legal resident for less than two years, you don't have the benefit of tuition-free university education. 

Does anyone know if this is actually the case?  And if so, what are the chances the new government will change that in the next year? :)

*crickets*

Anyone? :)

I wrote in your blog as comment, that you could start studying right away.

I did that.

The education itself is for free, but you also need to seek for SU (student stipend) and here's the part where the 2 year rule locks people out.

In SU website it says, that you're only entitled to SU after two years living in Denmark, however they also have another rule that you can also get SU if you have the same rights as Danish citizens. When you're family reunited here to Denmark, you'd receive a letter saying that you have the same rights as Danish citizen.

Back then when I started my master's study here, I applied to DTU, got enrolled, applied for SU, taking copy of the letter I got from immigration office, highlighted the parts where they said that I have the same rights as Danish citizen, and voila! I started my education only 6 months I came here, and education is for free and that I get SU.

Sometimes, you just have to know the loopholes.

Good luck

Oh, wow, I hadn't even considered that I might get any kind of stipend.  I figured I'd either be leeching off of my husband for a few years (which I hate the idea of) or I'd be trying to find a part time job.  Is the SU a set amount, and if so do you know around what it is? Or does it vary per person?

It's around 5400 kr before tax per month. For the precise amount, please google SU, might need some google translate tho'

But wait a minute, I read from your blog that your husband is not Danish citizen?

No, he's a British citizen.  So, still an EU member, but not Danish.  Will this make a different?  I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

The tuition fee is always free, if you are here under any other visa than student visa (ironically!)

http://studyindenmark.dk/study-in-denma … holarships

I suppose as a family reunited spouse, you would be classified under people who have temporary residency permit, hence you don't have to pay tuition fee

For SU.

YES! You can get SU if you're married to EU citizen.
Check this rule below (in Danish)

http://www.su.dk/SU/betingelser/udenlan … fault.aspx

As for the two year rule, do as I did. Once you get your letter from the immigration office, look for the part where it says you have the same rights as Danish citizens and then copy that letter and send it to SU office to apply for SU.

Oh, wow.  This is such a huge relief!  I'm still going to have to learn Danish before I start school (the program I'm looking to get into is mostly taught in Danish, from what I've read so far), but having to wait 3 years (from now) was stressing me out!

What program is that if I might ask?

Most master's degree here are taught in English, but if you're going to study in a program where it's mostly taught in Danish, then you need to get yourself Studieprøve certificate, kinda like TOEFL for English (obviously for non native English speakers).

I could recommend Studieskolen as one of the best language schools in Copenhagen. Once you get your CPR number, you can go there and ask for placement test. If you have learned Danish from US, then I don't think you'd start from zero, so that speeds up the process (I think it takes around 1.5 years to finish the whole program at language school).

When you have CPR number, you don't need to pay a dime to go to language school.

Good luck with things :)

I'm hoping to get into a vocal music program.  I'll need to finish my bachelors degree before moving on to my masters (I think I may be a year or so away from that).  Though, for all I know the system is different in DK.  :)