Hello! new in Ghent!

Halloo!

I just arrvied at Gent on saturday! I was hoping we could do a little meat up with all the expats so we get to know eachother!

Love this city

Yeah wuld be a nice idea how come ur in gent x

I came here to study! i will be starting classes in january at the Universiteit however I need to learn the language first so I came in earlier :)

All expats from gent should get together!

Is your corse in ducth I hope not cos thats a lot to learn in 4 months my Beggers class dosnt even end till Jan. i have meet with a couple here and i was invited to a meet up on friday but couldnt make it

My goal is to try and study child care next year but we shall see how i do

Well I first have to take the "Preparatory year of Dutch" in January that the university offers after that I will begin my "real" classes in september, they are supossed to teach me dutch up to an academical level there.

I guess we are the only two expats at gent?? Thats odd.

Btw: where are you living? I found a really good studio in overpoort a bit pricy tough

No theres loads just not on this site sadly. I am working as a au pair as it was easyet way to live till i had learned the language. I will a bit outside the centre in Nazareth

Well you can get all of the expats you may know that are not on this website and meet? next week would be perfect! I want to get to know everyone whos here alone like me.

Theres a facebook group if ur intrested they seem to be doing meetups on fridays sadly ill be in Lauven this friday

Hey Expats
I need help with  application form for academic year 201-2012 in any Belgian University and i would like to take  full time courses in Business Administration(MBA).I request for an application form plus all necessary information and conditions for international students since i am based in Africa,more precisely in Cameroon
  Thanks
Samwed

What kind of information

nsamwed wrote:

Hey Expats
I need help with  application form for academic year 201-2012 in any Belgian University and i would like to take  full time courses in Business Administration(MBA).I request for an application form plus all necessary information and conditions for international students since i am based in Africa,more precisely in Cameroon
  Thanks
Samwed

Well I guess the process is similar to what i did.

First you have to apply to the unviersity of your choice, they will ask you for certain documents and wether or not this should be legalizard. After u get the acceptance letter u start the visa and thats it

Hello! Welcome to the forum! Don't worry there are like a lot of people from Ghent here you should look for the expat group on facebook, I live in Ghent too, and I am from Mexico, and I'm learning the language too!

@Hannah! you're going to Leuven? that is great :) Never been there, tell me if it's nice so I can visit soonish :)

hannahhadman wrote:

What kind of information

Hello
Any relevant information in obtaining admissions will be greatly appreciated

Alex I go a lot cos of Kevin its a pretty nice city verty full of students

Also if your moving to flanders you may wanna do some dutch prep frist may help things once your hear

Thanks

What's the name of the facebook site?  I'm also in Ghent, with no Dutch, apparently for a long time...

There is also dutch classes in gent reasonabbly priced perhaps its something to look into may be it will help the site is Expats In Gent Belgium

Hi i'm looking for a studio or a flat to share.I'll prefer Gents side cos my advocates resides on those ends but i won't mind anywhere in Belgium

Fello Expats
I wish to inquire if there are colleges or private institutions who offer special preparatory classes in Dutch for international students
Any help will be grately apprecaited

The one i take is justa basiclly dutch course you take it 2 days a week on intively daily its 60 euros for the class and 20 for books. This is for each level not sure if this is something u would like.

Is it a recognised institution
could u please give me the full address ,email,website and phone number
Thanks

Well im not sure what you mean by recongnised insituituon. You go visit huis van het neaderlands and they have different courses in 3 different locations in Gent centre and in other places duch as Dinze heres there web site

hvngent.be

Blekerijstraat 55
9000 Gent, België
09 235 26 70

The courses r taught souly in ducth no other langauge used expect when you ask questions out of class. My teacher has worked there for 11 years so its been running a long time. The building isnt fancy but then again a lot of places arnt

hi..i'm moving to gent too..most probably by next year...i've read articles about europeans behavior towards muslims wearing headscarves..and i'm one of them...i'm worried now..please advice..

Im not sure if its true i go to a nederland course and they are atlest 3 in my class who wear headscafs also there is a lot of turkish people around Gent aera i have found

owh really...then, my worries come tumbling down now..phewww...

The whole head scarf thing is very political and yes a lot of people dont like it espally the full burker even in england and im sorry i spelt that wrong. But from experince noone really talks about it in public or from what ive seen isnt hostile to people becouse of wearing them so i wouldnt be to worried your allways going to find people who dont agree besides Belguim has enough poltical problems with the french / dutch things

I hope everything will be ok once i settle down at ghent next year...i love making new friends..the places in germany are all so incredibly beautiful i wish of visiting them all..but of course with new friends..that would be more enjoyable..=)..

Yeah Gent in pretty I havent seen that much of germany but there is a nice canel to walk down plently of shops old buildings museums etc I just need to keep up with my dutch then things will easier for me

thanx for the info hannah..u take care..=)

belladoc88, I don't know about Gent in particular, but I doubt it's really much different from here. There is a plenty big Muslim population in Belgium & the Netherlands, with plenty of women who wear headscarves. I've never seen anyone out in public acting in any sort of disrespectful way to any of them.