Re residency visa for MU

Hello

Just wondering if anyone may have an answer I'm after.. My business partner and myself bought a property in villa valriche bel ombre and it's not in a joint name but in my partners name. my family and I are considering relocating to Mauritius to live there for a while. We will not be looking for employment locally. Can anyone point me in the right direction re residency visa etc. We will also have 3 young kids who will have to attend an English medium school so any good recommendations on schools near bel ombre would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Welcome to Expat.com Ddubai!

Have you gone through the different discussions of the forum? It may help.

Harmonie.:)

Residence Permit under IRS

The acquisition of a villa under the Scheme shall grant resident status to the investor, his spouse and dependents. A residence permit granted under the IRS shall remain in force until such time as the non-citizen holds immovable property in Mauritius under the scheme. Application for Residence Permit shall be made at the time of applying for IRS.

http://www.boimauritius.com/Friendly3.aspx

The only solution is the section :Retiring in Mauritius.

Thanks for replies guys.

As far as I can see it seems really easy to live in MU once you a
have the initial cash? Is this true? Can you correct me if I'm wrong, there seems to be 2 options for me and my family

1. Come in as a Self Employed and obtain a OP (Occupation permit) which would cost 10,000 Rs and would have to earn annually roughly 20,000 dollars (600,000 MRU).
Also need Initial investment of 35000 dollars (would this money just sit in my bank account or would I have to literally invest it somewhere??). See I can continue the job I am doing in my home country but work from anywhere in the world hence deciding to reside in Mauritius seems that our villa is ready for handover and mortgage has to be paid and at the moment it will be hard to rent it out so why not live in it for a few years till this economic crisis sorts itself out ;-).

2. Come in as retired
With regards to retired option I must transfer 40000 dollars initially in a local bank account in Mauritius and then have at least USD 40,000 annually in the bank. Now I am also wondering if the dependents of a retired non-citzen may also apply for residence permits? (Have a wife and 3 kids)

thanks for the help

unless the villa is transfered onto urs?

cheers
Islander77

yes would be nice if that was possible..

lol, yea, ask him though, i dunno if you can buy-back?

cheers
Islander77

Now I am also wondering if the dependents of a retired non-citzen may also apply for residence permits? (Have a wife and 3 kids)

Yes, wife and kids can stay here. Have seen people live here with their families under retired status. So that should work out for you.

and then have at least USD 40,000 annually in the bank.

Yep, you need to show them that you have it i think on a regular basis, maybe yearly, but you can use it after... It doesn't need to be blocked or anything, they just want proof that you have such funds. (anyway i'm just repeating what i have heard such expats chatting about who where here retired...) You better double check with the authorities directly - forum responses are great, but don't rely only on these as consulting responses for accuracy etc.

thanks for all your replies guys much appreciated :))

Under Retired Scheme, your wife and kids can get Residency permit as your dependents.  It works in all Residency schemes in Mauritius.  You need to provide bank guarantees (Rs20,000) for each of your dependent and they should do all medical tests in Mauritius, just like you.  For yourself, a bank guarantee of Rs50,000 is required and a bank cheque of Rs10,000 payable to the Government of Mauritius.

And you should be at least 50 years old! We don't entertain young retired persons like we were doing in the past.:)

Hope this helps.

If you come in under the IRS scheme then you are not permitted to work. So you can move into your villa but you wont be able to work and earn income. If you have overseas income from investments etc then I think you should be ok.

Yep overseas income, etc don't matter. The principle is that your residency in Mauritius is attached exclusively to your villa. You can invest in business but can't 'work' and earn a salary