Honesty, the best policy

My two daughters took a known cab last Tuesday evening to attend to some of their chores down town and returned home around 9 pm. One of them had dropped her purse along the way and was not sure where she could have misplaced it since she went to the Bank, Department Store, Restaurant etc.

We called the cab driver, William (from Bombay), in the morning and he was just about to leave his home on a hire. He found the purse on the floor at the rear of the cab and promptly returned it to us intact.

He was extremely happy that he had no other hire on Tuesday night after dropping off the girls since another passenger could have easily found the purse and kept it. His main concern was that he was saved from unnecessary suspicion.

The purse contained money, identity, and credit cards.

Its nice to know that there are honest people on the planet, even in these trying times.

William is a good cab driver.

was told by Ahmed that in the past if you dropped your wallet it would stay there all day and no one would touch it. you could come back the next morning and it would still be there where it fell.
but he says times have changed with the influx of some specific people, he says the Nigerians but i'm not sure it is just them i felt saddened by the thought that there seemed to be an uncertainty in honesty entering a place like this.

or as you have been here so long musicman has it been like this for longer and he just never noticed?

It was very different when I first came to live and work here in 1979. Things have certainly changed for the worse in terms of trust, sincerity, and attitudes, within locals and expats. I dont think any particular nationality or community is the specific cause.

Its the changing times, values, economic hardships, and also employer attitudes that put people into difficult situations that create such an atmosphere.

In 1979 Jewelry store owners used to leave their shops wide open when they went to the Mosques to pray. That was the most significant factor that moved me when I first stepped on to the sands. I doubt you can keep a half drunk pepsi can on the sidewalk these days?

:)
And you are a good man to tell everyone about William, I'm sure he will get more customers after your post.
We all feel sorry for the lost morals in arab communities...reading your second comment made me wonder how would you feel if you lived in a time the robbed man asks the man deceived him and about to rum with his horse in the desert not to tell the story so people wont lose trust.

I dont thunk William needs this story to get more hires. He has his selected group of regular customers, us included, who give him enough business to put food on his table.

Why would a thief want to be trusted when he only robs when no one is looking?

That was not what I meant, the deceived was stopped by the thief to save him in the desert, he paid him by running with his hours with everything keeps him alive on it, He called the thief not to ask him help, but to ask him not to tell the story so people will not help each others anymore...
Even thieves were better, he gave back the horse and everything.

I am nor certain that I understand your drift?

:|