Where to live

Hi All,

I will be moving to Mauritius this Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it.

I will be working for a company based in Ebene City and I will be in hotel close by for the 1st month or so. During that month I will be looking for more permanent accommodation.

I'm in my late twenties and very social and interested in outdoor activities. With that in mind I'd be looking for a two bedroom flat that is relatively close to work but also close to an area with good night life and isn't too hard to get to the sea (want to sail and dive ALOT). I will have a car if that alters your recommendations.

Would love to hear some thoughts from people who live in that area.

Thanks in advance!

Quatre Bornes then which is close to eben, and when you need night life you just drive for a few minutes to flic en flac or black river.

Hi and welcome to Mauritius.

I have not been here long but the advice which I was given and which I think is good advice is to wait until you are here and get a feel for the area's and then make your decision.

My husband works in Ebene and we now live in Tamarin we stayed for one month in Flic en Flac until our house in Tamarin was ready - both are great area's but I would say Flic en Flac is busier with more going on for the young :)

Enjoy your weekends exploring!

Also check out supermarkets noticeboards for apartments etc to rent.

Best wishes.
Dee

Hey IrishWildGeese,

The Irish count is slowly increasing. We are both from Ireland and we have so far met two Irish guys who recently came to Mauritius. So welcome.

I agree with Dee, since you will be near Ebene for the first month then I would suggest that you go check the two main areas where most expats end up living in: Southwest- Flic en Flac/ Tamarine and North- Grand Baie area. 

You will need a car in Mauritius and I doubt that there is a place in Mauritius to live that does not require a car even if you live in Port Louis. Night entertainment and outdoor activities take place all over the island so you will find yourself driving everywhere and all over the island; Public Transport in Mauritius will test out your patience to the limit.

So far, most of the single people that we have met opt towards Flic en Flac or Grand Baie area.

Good luck and do MSG me if you need any help, we would love to meet you and introduce you to the handful of Irish people that we know.

Mariam

IrishWildGeese,

Hope you enjoyed the Italy game?
I'm from Co. Down, but in the IOM & looking to come over for a visit.
How you finding the place?

Regards
Michael

Hi Miriam! and wildirsihGeese
We are also Irish and looking at moving over also. Nice to see that there are some Irish living there ;-)). We are currently living in Dubai but bought in Mauritius a while back and it seems like the place is ready now but it is impossible to rent it out at the moment as the resort isn't fully finished and our villa is right next to all the construction of phase 2 (no ideal for leasing it out). So only option for us is to rent out our villa here in Dubai and go live in the one in Mauritius. I'm a bit apprehensive as I have 3 young kids and not sure if we might be isolated living in Villas Valriche. Do you know anyone that lives around there? Also any tips on schools etc?? We are going out there at the end of the month to check it all out and see if we are mad or not!!

Hi Ddubai,

I quickly googled where Villas Valriche are located and I see that they are near Domain Bel Ombre in the south of Mauritius (not that you don't know). I love the south of Mauritius and it is the least developed part of the coastline and very picturesque.

I would say that you will be a bit far from the main stream shops/ restaurants/bars which are mainly located near Black river/ Tamarin and Flic en Flac area. I am sure that the nearby villages such as Bel Ombre and Rianbelle have local little shops and supermarkets but I would say that you are likely to do all your shopping in Black River's LondonWay which stocks up on a lot of European and South African produce. It is about 15-20min drive.

That said, near your villa estate, there are several resorts that will have their own bars and restaurants.

I know a friend who is South African but who also lived in Ireland for several years and he has found an English school for his boy in Tamarin area which is about 20min. Someone with kids might be more helpful in listing the schools in that area.

check out: expatmauritius.com/pop_schools.asp for a full list & contact details of schools!

Somebody might correct me on the driving time.. we tend to drive leisurely around that part of the coastline so I never really timed it.

Good luck and hope to see you all soon..

Mariam

Hi All,

Well it's day three so far and I'm enjoying me time. I've really only seen the office so far but at the weekend I'm hoping to get ou and see more of this beautiful country.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I've also been talking to a few people at the office and everyone seems to be in agreement that I need to get out and view the areas for myself.

I think I'm probably leaning towards a place in the north of the island though. Still who knows where I might end up!

Hi to all,

I'll be in Mauritius for 3 months with my little girl (4) to deliver my second child. I'd like to find a serviced apartment with a pool if possible and not too far from beach and supermarkets as I will be alone with two kids, including one new born (in Appollo clinic I think).

Could anybody recommend me anything? Do you know if hotels may do long term stay ?

Would anybody know how to find a good nanny :-)) ?

Thanks a lot in advance to all,
I'll be there in 2 weeks and still don't know what I will do
Best
S.

Hi Irish geese welcome to Mauritius. Indeed nothing beats checking the place for yourself. The main deterrent to choosing a place far from work place remains the traffic. Night life and activity is near the coast. The west coast may seem more convenient to Ebene commuting than the north.

Hi all,

Does anyone live in Albion or knows of someone who lives there? I'm trying to get some info on the place...

Thanks a bunch.
D.

Hello, WildIrishGeese - have you narrowed down the search? I'll be in the same boat when arrive in Nov. Office in Ebene, and looking for a nice serviced arpt/ house where I can live Mauritius-ala style. I keep hearing tht traffic's an issue, but coming from Asia, I'm trying to understand wht traffic jam in Mauritius really means. Any idea?

hi dom.chin... am also from Asia (Philippines)... I also work in Ebene and live in Vandermesch (Rose-Hill area - about 15 mins away from Ebene)... regarding the traffic... lots of people here are complaining bout traffic jam in Ebene, Rose-hill, etc... but am comparing it to the traffic jams I've seen in the Philippines, HongKong, Malaysia.. for me traffic here is not traffic jam at all :)

Haha that's what I thought. Ok good to know. Ive heard that curepipe, moka, rosehill are v nice comfortable neighborhoods so will look there too. Another question, based on what I've read, it seems lifestyle in Mauritius is very similar to like Australia, perhaps Perth in particular. Shops close by 530pm, aren't open on Sundays etc. If so, what do ppl do after work or pass time, besides sea activities??

i dont know what's the lifestyle in Australia, but yeah you're right, shops close very early, some close at 8 PM, and yeah Sundays and holidays, everywhere's closed.. so besides sea activities, most people go to clubs to go dancing and drinking (clubs here are open til morning!)... you also can do hiking/trekking if you're into nature activities

[Moderated]

Hi all

I may be moving in early March 2012 with family of 3 kids & my wife .

Work will be in Grand Bay.  While I am in Management an will get expat schooling support I find that private schools are very expensive.

What would a reasonable area to live in that is close to schools and to work?