Child care in Noumea

Hi,

when settling in a new country, working parents are mostly concerned about finding child care services for their children.

What can you share with us about the child care system in Noumea ?

How much is daycare in Noumea?

Is the staff qualified at these daycare centers?

What are the usual opening hours?

Do they provide other services at the daycare center?

Any daycare center in Noumea you would like to recommend to other expats? What makes them special?

Thank you for participating! :)

Hello Armand,

I arrived in Noumea around 8 months ago with my little boy who needed to be in daycare.

I wrote a blog post about my experience finding the right daycare for him at: tickled-amna.blogspot.com/2011/05/to-creche-or-not.html

In it, there is a scan of a yellow pages section of the daycares in Noumea.

As an update on our son's situation: we have since moved him to another place called "A Tout Bout'Chou" (atoutboutchou.com). It is infinitesimally better than the previous place he was at (Educare). The staff are friendly, professional and knowledgable in their field of early childcare. While it is not labeled as a Montessori, they do practice quite a lot of the ideology. The rate is also a bit more expensive than others around.

Croix Rouge also has a pretty good day acre operating in downtown Noumea. However, like any good daycare, it has a lengthy wait list.

Bon chance!!
Amna

Thank you for your contribution Amna!

Harmonie.:)

Hi there!!
My name is Lou and I am going to New Caledonia for almost two months from this 26th of November.
I would like to offer my help for looking after your children, at a very affordable rate. I have a lot of experience in childcare (new borns, babies and kidies) and I can provide you with references from New Zealand, where I am based. I can also send my CV upon request.

Kind regards

Hi Lou,

I would suggest you to post an advert in the Noumea classifieds > job section.

Thank you and good luck.

Bonjour,

je voulais donner mon avis sur la pré-maternelle Educare basée sur mon expérience.

Si les auxiliaires puéricultrices sont charmantes et attentives, j'émets plus de réserve en ce qui concerne la directrice.
Cette dernière passe son temps à donner des leçons aux parents derrière ses lunettes teintées et son sourire condescendant, sur à peu près tout et n'importe quoi, en prétextant tout mieux connaitre que vous, y compris ce qui vous concerne. Ce qui lui permet de s'exempter de tout reproche lorsque quelque chose se passe mal avec votre petit bout.

Autre chose : mon enfant ne s'est pas alimenté à midi pendant un mois en compagnie des autres enfants de la crèche, et elle n'est jamais venue m'en parler.

Pour terminer, l'environnement de la crèche n'est clairement pas adapté aux plus jeunes à mon sens, mais la directrice acceptera votre enfant malgré les dangers, car elle a besoin de remplir son établissement pour des besoins financiers.

J'ai retiré mon enfant et je ne regrette clairement pas ma décision.