Child care in Brussels

Hi,

when settling in a new country, working parents are mostly concerned about finding child care services for their children.

What can you share with us about the child care system in Brussels ?

How much is daycare in Brussels?

Is the staff qualified at these daycare centers?

What are the usual opening hours?

Do they provide other services at the daycare center?

Any daycare center in Brussels you would like to recommend to other expats? What makes them special?

Thank you for participating! :)

I would imange the staff are qualified if they work in a day care if they werent id cert not let my children there

We never know :P

Thanks for your input hannahhadman!

Armand

I intend to look into working for day care next year actually but its perhaps not going to be in brussels sadly but i can perhapos reoomend places for other parts of belgium once I know more

Same as the system anywhere in Belgium, creches for 3 months to 3 years, on a low income it's better to go for a communal creche if you are able to get a place, if you are average income or more, a private creche would be the same price, from 400 to 600 per month, only a few chains of creches charge more, the only ones always with places as most people cannot afford their fees. Very few childminders, but a few around, nearly everyone uses creches for childcare. From 2 1/2 to 3, children transfer to maternelle / kleuterschool. Of course staff are qualified, not all have to be but a certain percentage, qualifications are really not the most important issue in childcare, good care is far more important. You reserve a creche place or put your name on waiting lists from 6 weeks pregnant, getting a place in Brussels is often frustrating, so just finding a place is an achievement, finding a good place comes second place. Opening hours are usually 7am to 6/7pm.

Hello schoolmum,

Thank you for participating! :)

Rouma

Can anyone name some specific places?

Caliboy, what specifically? School for what age or creche and what language and where?

I don't care about the language, Dutch or French. My wife is Belgian, & I am American so it's all good as long as my daughter is learning. She is 15 months old.

It's impossible to be specific without saying where you are looking and whether for creche or maternelle. I know a fair amount about schooling in Brussels and area, but only generally about other areas.