Child care in Montreal

Hi,

when settling in a new country, working parents are mostly concerned about finding child care services for their children.

What can you share with us about the child care system in Montreal ?

How much is daycare in Montreal?

Is the staff qualified at these daycare centers?

What are the usual opening hours?

Do they provide other services at the daycare center?

Any daycare center in Montreal you would like to recommend to other expats? What makes them special?

Thank you for participating! :)

What can you share with us about the child care system in Montreal ?
You can find more info about day care from this website: http://www.gouv.qc.ca/portail/quebec/in … s/?lang=en

How much is daycare in Montreal?
It varies on which day care you will be attending. Like from my previous post the fees are only an estimation depending on which kind of daycare.

Is the staff qualified at these daycare centers?
All I can tell you most subvention daycare from Quebec, the one where the government have regulations on require at least 2/3 of the staffs qualified with a certificate "en petite enfance et famille". Most of them are trained even they don't have the certificate. This only applies for the subvention day care the two other kind day cares would have different since each of them function independently. Most daycare they will have schedule on what are the kids are learning during the year, what are the steps, etc you can get more information when you chose the day care you want to attend. The director of the facility will be able to clarify it for you.

What are the usual opening hours?
Once again the subvention daycare usually open from 6h30am - 6pm. But you must know the kids can only stay for 8hours a day at max. So in example: you leave your kids at 7am than you have to pick it up at 3pm. If you leave them longer there, there will be extra fees which are very expensive, not worth it. Ask the day care of yours to find out what are the fees for this kind of situation.

Do they provide other services at the daycare center?
You mean after hours? Like learning playing an instruments or dancing class or drawing class? Before the daycare had this options but you had to pay a few bucks extra but nowadays, you will find less in the daycare.
All I can tell you, the food for kids are include inside the price and most of the activity inside the daycare. If I'm not answering your answer, please don't hesitate to ask again.

Any daycare center in Montreal you would like to recommend to other expats? What makes them special?
I think you have to google yourself or visit the daycare center yourself so you can see yourself how is the quality of the staff, the environment, etc. Go for a subvention one if you can, usually they have regulations to follow from the government so normally they are very good. Once again, they are very hard to get in since the waiting list are heavy.

Hi mrbobyu!

Thanks very much for your help ;)

Armand

i think maybe you can have a look at this website to find an au pair.aupairnet24.com hope could help you!

Thanks for your contribution anna100!

Harmonie.:)

Here is an useful website for daycare in Montreal with general rules of thumb:

http://www.godaycare.com/childcarearticles/9

Thanks for helpin mrbobyu ;)

Armand

There is a great information for all the parents regarding their children .childcare center for your children is one of the most important decisions we make as parents. Stay visit this thread for more details.