Help - what is life like in lebanon? please help

Hi Everyone in Lebanon,

My fiance has been offered a job in lebanon - and i hear so many different things. I would love an honest account from someone living in lebanon? I have not been there yet so am keeping an open mind but i am worried i am very petite (4 foot 6 ) with red hair and feel i will stick out like a sore thumb? I would like to know what every day life is like for english ex pats please? Is it easy to make friends? Is it really dangerous - would someone let me work voluntarily at first? so many questions half nervous half excited - i would appriciate your help so much

Thank you

Debbie x

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on the Lebanon forum for better visibility. :)

Thank you for moving my post - not very good with this site yet -

Debbie xx

Hi Debbie,

Don't worry about sticking out like a sore thumb here.  Lebanese people love foreigners and there is a huge mix of nationalities and types of people in Beirut. As for being 4'6" with red hair, well, I think they will love you even more for it : ) The most dangerous thing about living in Lebanon is probably the driving!  Seriously, you don't find people worrying about the political situation, they just go out and live their lives. It is a very sociable place with wonderful restaurants but there are some negatives for sure, like the power going off and on and wrecking your electronics, or having to pay a lot for pretty lousy internet service.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your decision,

Jenn