Teaching n UAE

Hi all,

I have taught in a few countries - EFL in Japan, Brasil, Ecuador; and mainstream primary in Colombia, Ireland, UK and currently on a remote aboriginal community in the Northern Territory of Australia.

I'm considering doing a couple of years of teaching in the UAE and am trying to figure out if I'm better off looking at an international school or going public with Teach Away.  I get the impression that the public system actually pays better, but I suspect the discipline issues are bigger in the public system?  I'm 20 years teaching at this stage, and could do without dealing with major crowd control issues in class every day!

I haven't had chance to look at the Teach Away Facebook page but, having seen it mentioned on here, that would seem like a good place to check things out.

Any other views or opinions would be very welcome and thanks in advance for any reponses!

Cheers,

Lisa

Welcome to Expat.com Lisa!;)

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

I would look to joining the Facebook Abu Dhabi LT's page as it provides a host of information about teaching with ADEC. Some people are having great experience, others...well let's just say they may not come back after Christmas. So it really depends on you, your placement, and attitude. I decided not to go with Teach Away as I prefer to know my location and population. With ADEC you can be placed anywhere in the emirate of AD, even on an island. Now I did have to take a lower pay but, I am not going in completely blind, partially, but not completely LOL! You can also look at other agencies, but again ADEC is paying the big bucks, but you may have big problems. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback... I would cretainly prefer to know what I am going into but money is a big issue at present, so may just have to take my chances with ADEC... hmmm... decision time! Let me know how things go with your position!
Cheers,
lisa