Opening a bank account in Thailand

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Thailand ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Thailand ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

The simple answer is"Chai dai mak"!No problem..."Most of the time".Bangkok Bank is very "farang friendly",and provides just about any service you might need.I have had three different bank accts. while living here in Bangkok over a Three year period.I will not go into detail about the first two banks."BB" is very good,and the main "Silom Branch"has English speaking staff.It is not a requirement to have a long term visa,but it is a much simpler process if you do.Most new expats who our working will find the process pretty easy.It is also easy for retired persons who have long term visas,and needing "Western Style customer service".Bangkok Bank provides direct deposits of both private and government funds for American expats.The Bank also has a "USA" branch in New York,so having annuities,social security,trust funds or wired funds is simple.I opened both a direct deposit & savings & online banking with "SMS" Text messaging,along with a "fixed savings acct.",that i use for my marriage visa required yearly(400,000THB) funds,that pays (3.75%) for a 11 month period.I also use that same acct(Fixed) to secure two credit cards(they will match your deposit in credit line).The bank will also write a letter stating your fixed acct.funds to secure your marriage visa extension,with no mention of the fact it is also collateral for the credit cards.The credit card issue is a "Big Deal" for expats in Thailand.The need to have a "Thai Credit Card" is important!I have three Thai cards(MC/Visa/AMX),i do not have to pay the foreign exchange rates,fees etc.The really cool thing about this setup is,they our paying me almost 4% on my money,and i need that to stay "Fixed" to secure my visa,which has the same effect as just giving me a "Pre-approved" credit card that pays me interest,instead of them!I do however suggest that you have a "Auto-pay in full" every billing period,as their(ALL Thai Credit Cards)charge "20%"...the math sucks if you carry a balance.If needing a "LOAN",then your problems our "HUGE"..Forget it!Also,Thai Banks operate on "Cash & Carry" for farangs..No checking Accts.Debit cards our for the most part,just to access your money via "ATM"....hope it helps.Chok dee.luckkyybuddha/Khun James

Thanks for your contribution luckkyybuddha!:top:

Harmonie.

Great information...thanks for the detailed explanation on what I might be doing in the near future!

Robert

just a short update on "how good Bangkok Bank is"..I deposited a "rewards check from "FIA"(Boa owned credit card issuer)250.00 usd.I tried to explain what i needed by phone,but they were not clear on the issue(check,what bank!).I had to go to the main branch anyway to make sure my "SMS" texting was fully set in place for all acct.They took the check with some confusion about where to send it for collection.I did point out the routing/account numbers and suggested they just stick it in the system and cross their fingers.."OK",no problem,but it will take some time.It is less than 24 hours later,and that money has been deposited into my savings acct.I received a "SMS" with the amt. in USA funds/converted into Thai funds showing the current rate(30.93thb)& acct.number....This is just not something that happens for a "farang" doing regular banking in "LOS".I can tell you,my American bank would not have completed that process in that short amount of time.I would also like to comment on their "SMS" Texting...It works great,for all credit cards,and my debit.I get prompt Texting on any purchase,deposits,transfers or other accessing of my multiple accounts..."FAST",this is great with all the "ATM"/Credit card scams here in Thailand.If you our going to live here,this bank works!Chok dee.

Last month I have opened a bank account at Krung Thai Bank in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat). I was there on a tourist visa and they told me I was the first foreigner who came there for bank account (ever).

It took me about 30 minutes to open the bank account with help of my (Thai) fiancee. All papers were in Thai, so Thai reading skills were needed.

All i had with me was:
passport
tourist visa (stamp in my passport)
money (300 baht cost plus my first deposit)

Now I am the proud owner of the most simple account they had over there. Costs are about 150 baht per year, and I can use my ATM card to make withdraws. And I have access to my account online.

A more detailed account of it all is available here:
stuckinthailand.com/thailand/how-to-opening-bank-account-thailand
(hope it is allowed to post a link to my blog)

Hello Bobby and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for your contribution.;)

Harmonie.

You are welcome.
Just found out about this forum and hope to be able to contribute more in the future :)

It is very easy to open a bank account for an expatriate in Thailand : You will need a passport + visa and a work permit (not require for some banks). If there is no queue it will take about 30 minutes!
An ATM card will cost you 200 to 300 THB and you can select the code.

Some banks have advantages:
If you travel a lot and you are registered with Thai Orchid (Thai Airways), you can earn miles by using the Siam Comercial Bank card.
In some places there are priority queues dedicated to certain banks.
Some banks have very little ATM (TMB,...) : HSBC, there is only one ATM in Thailand (if I'm not mistaken) but you will not pay fees for withdrawal no matter what country you are.
In some cases, when you withdraw money in some remote location (usually on the islands and sometimes on the country side) or at an ATM that do not belong to your bank, you have to pay fees.
It will also be easier (cheaper and faster) to send money overseas for some banks