Opening a bank account in Italy

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Italy ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Italy ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

Hi!
I am also interested in a reply to this question!

I would also like to know. Come on guys, someone must have an account :-)

The Italian banking sector is quite modest in comparison with the rest of Europe, as Italy is still a mainly cash economy, with people not taking out large loans or mortgages. Bank accounts can be opened in Italy by both residents and non-residents (if you are not resident you just need passport, and proof of residence, eg a utility bill etc); however, the charges levied by the bank will differ.

Banks will also charge for things normally taken for granted elsewhere in Europe , such as statements (estratto conto), and internet banking. Opening hours are also confusing, as they open early, take a long lunch and may not open at all in the afternoon, and then they surprise you by opening for an hour or two on Saturday or even Sunday.

Hi 2late_for_Toscana!

Thanks for your contribution ;)

Armand

You must also have a codice fiscale..which anyone can obtain free from the local Agenzia delle Entrate

I opened a bank account a long time before I got a Codice Fiscale! I only crossed that bridge when I applied for residency.

You definitely need a codice fiscale where I live and even one of those plastic cards as opposed to the temporary paper one issued to you when you have just arrived. For some reason, the banks here specialize in 'sending everything to Rome' and thats the reason why it takes 10 days! to open a bancaposta account.

As for me I am still waiting to be verified by the officials in Rome and start accessing my money