Buying a car in Amman

Hello-

I'll be moving to Amman soon to start working with the UN and I'm considering to buy a car. Did a quick search on used car market in Jordan and noticed that many cars have "Type: Free Zone" specified.

Do you know what does it mean and are there any exemptions/benefits for UN workers?

Thank you!

Welcome to Expat.com kaba1ah!

I invite you to take a look at the different discussions of the forum.
It may help.;)

Harmonie.

first of all welcome to Jordan in advance, im Jordanian and "Free Zone" means that it hasn't been charged from the tax's yet, umm let me try to explain more, for example:

u see a car AD for sale saying its 5.000$ worth from the "free zone" then it means that it's the original prize from the country which made that car without adding the Jordanian tax! am i making any sense lol im sorry if u didnt but im trying :p

eh anyway i would recommend u buying one once u get here, its way much better and easier :)

good luck though

Hi kaba1a,
I'm the marketing manager at Toyota Jordan. Shoot me an email when you arrive and I can help you.

[email protected]

good luck

Hi Kaba1a,

Since you will work for UN you should be exonerated by taxex and you will also receive a yellow plate instead of the common one.

Dear All,

I might come for three months to work with UN in Amman and I am glad to be part of this forum and discussion.

Arben Hasan Caslli

you are most welcome in advance Arben :)

Jordan is indeed a nice place :)

Thank you Daniyah!

Please send your e-mail so we can communicate easily.
Mine is [email protected]
My mobile in Uganda is +256 757 788 799

I should be in Amman by 10-12 April until mid June or even mid July and meanwhile it is expected for me to be there for 3 years or so. I would like to have a car as soon as I arrive.
Meanwhile I am checking for some temporary accommodation until my family will join.

Cheers and thank you for tne quick reply.

regards
arben

Hi I'm Jordanian live in Amman

Hi jarrarm,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Maybe a little introduction might help :)

Maximilien
Expat.com Team.

yes, like (Daniya H) said, "free zone" or whatever would mean that the car has not yet been removed from the free trade zones around jordan and thus has not yet been subject to tax and terrifs, sometimes in slang arabic it means that the car is "free-zone-fresh" .. fresh out the free zone (hadnt been driven locally).
as for the tax reduction, im surprised your hired by the UN without previously knowing that or that they havent made that clear to you, it would depend on what level of the UN your in, and what status your in the country under, and the nature of your work. so that part of the question is unanswerable.
hope this helps at all.

Zaid