Omani Driving License

I would like to take Omani driving license.
i think it is very difficult to pass the test on road.
can i get any advices and tips of getting license very smoothly.

dasuttan wrote:

i think it is very difficult to pass the test on road.
can i get any advices and tips of getting license very smoothly.

Hello dasuttan,

To any Asian expatriate obtaining an Omani Driving Licence is a daunting task for sure. If you are one, like the many that come here, who has already learnt driving and was driving back home, then the biggest challenge is to unlearn whatever you've learnt. Fortunately, many European and American expatriates, (including even the South Africans) get an Omani driving licence by merely showing their native driving licence and without having to go through the ordeal of the various tests which an Asian expat has to go through !!

For starters if you come from India, you would've been driving on the left-hand side of the road. Here in Oman, you drive on the right-hand side. You must relearn everything from the basics - the proper and correct way of following / reading the road signs; right usage of lanes; negotiating a roundabout properly; usage of indicators, and such. I know no one teaches you these things the way it should be taught (i.e., correctly) back home !

Don't pay any large sum (like R.O. 500 – R.O. 600) to your driving instructor towards obtaining your driving licence up front. Your instructor will promise you the earth, but will (most likely) scoot (with your book, so you can't even go to another instructor) on receiving the money from you. You will be left high and dry ! Check with your colleagues and acquaintances and upon their recommendation choose a driving instructor you feel comfortable with. I've heard horror stories of how some instructors talk impolitely and sometimes even hit their startled students if they make some mistake during their driving lessons. To be in control, you pay your instructor only by the hour (R.O. 6), after your lessons. That way he cannot run away with your book thereby leaving you in the lurch !

Once you're done with these preliminaries, the first big challenge is to clear the ‘Eye Test' (mandatory), the ‘Traffic Sign Test' (easiest of all tests), the following ‘Drums Test' (practice, practice and practice) and then the ‘Slope Test' (practice makes perfect). If you're done with these successfully, then you've won half the battle.

Before you are ready for the final ‘Road Test', take as many or as few driving lessons depending on your driving comfort level. Be confident. Stay assertive. Remain positive. Always ... and especially when you're taking your driving test. Don't be nervous. And if not in the first attempt (oh yes, there are a lucky few who have managed to get their driving licence in their very first attempt), you will surely get your licence soon enough.

Remember, whatever happens ... don't give up. Ever !

Good luck !

Hello,
I do not think the driving test is very complicated. Just train yourself to drive in ruwi , especially during rush hour and qurm-shatti area. if you are familiar with the roads in this area , you will hopefully be fine. They will try to trick you and ask you to turn where you are not suppose to , so pay attention .

Hi,

if you want you can find another place but not in muscat it will be easy for you.

But in my opinion if you are live in muscat i prefer to do the test in muscat becouse it is really diffrent to drive in muscat and out of it.

Best Regards
AMMAR

several driving licenses like ( european driving license)could be exchanged for an Omani one

I am now also in the bad mood of getting license in Oman. I tried many times for Road Test, but failed! Sometimes, I wished to give up and do not want to take care of that anymore but as my family's requirement, i need to try hard and spent a lot of money on Driving Training and Test.

Do you want to know what were my mistake?
Well,  nothing much sometime the police said I was too late to park, too late to leave out of parking or jumping to the road too fast...etc.

The problem is all polices had the different idea. When I did not move in to the road when the vehicles were coming, they said why I was still there and never moved? Then, I used that experiences to practise with other police, he stopped me and said " why don't you wait? "

6 times of Road Test is too much for me already as i was driving in Cambodia more than 5 years. But what to do? Let's see my seventh try!!!

I hope they will have something change about this kind of test program.
Best Luck to everybody!
Thanks

I have expired qatar driving License available with me
what is procedure to obtain d/l in oman. i was driving my car last 15 years in india and aboard. how much is expense to obtain D/L.

Kindly advise me

Venkat

First thing you need to do is going to Royal Omani Police ( ROP). As I know, if your quatar driving license is not expired, it is easy and you just change it here is ok, but it is expired.

If they require u take a training to have driving license from here, i can say it is the hardest thing to do. I spent more than 500 OMR to get it with eight times of being failed the test. If you can update your driving license from quarta, it will be better. However, just come to ROP and ask them.
Thank you

Im one of those few lucky fellas......who took the license in first attempt.

Yes, i got it in the first try.... back in 2006!!!

Register your istnara (Learners Book) from Samael and give test there

the test is definitely easier if you take it from outside muscat but ive heard stories of people spending a lot of effort doing so and failing.

the best solution is perseverance. dont give up and dont get motivated; most of the time the verdict depends on the policeman's mood.

thanks for your information

Venkat

I have taken the drum test and failed three times..My native driving license will become 1 year old in 2 months.Is it possible for me to use that to avoid drum test??I already have a book also.

Where did you get that license? You need to go to ROP where you got your book and check with them whether that country is in the list or not?
In case my husband got license from Sri Lanka, so we need to get attested document from Sri Lanka embassy on that old license and apply to ROP before he got a book, so they mentioned in that book that only Road test is required for him.

Thank you
Hope you get it soon.

The problem is I had already got the book.My home license  from india will be 1 year old in the next month.After 1 month if i get attestation from embassy,will the Rop still consider that and qualify me directly for road test??

dear sir,

I have valid UAE driving license with Automatic option. When I visit to ROP to convert into Oman driving license  they informed to me  according to new rule implemented from Jan 2013 we can't convert UAE driving license automatic option (if its manual we can change but in my case its automatic).

Please someone advise me how to change my UAE license or I will have to start from the beginning with manual option for the Oman driving license.

Thank you
sunil

sunil74 wrote:

dear sir,

I have valid UAE driving license with Automatic option. When I visit to ROP to convert into Oman driving license  they informed to me  according to new rule implemented from Jan 2013 we can't convert UAE driving license automatic option (if its manual we can change but in my case its automatic).

Please someone advise me how to change my UAE license or I will have to start from the beginning with manual option for the Oman driving license.

Thank you
sunil

In this case you would have to undertake the driving test in order to get the Omani driving license.

The other option is to try to covert your UAE driving license from Automatic Option to Manual Option then convert it to Omani one; but I don't know how visible this option ;)

maradymtp wrote:

I am now also in the bad mood of getting license in Oman. I tried many times for Road Test, but failed! Sometimes, I wished to give up and do not want to take care of that anymore but as my family's requirement, i need to try hard and spent a lot of money on Driving Training and Test.

Do you want to know what were my mistake?
Well,  nothing much sometime the police said I was too late to park, too late to leave out of parking or jumping to the road too fast...etc.

The problem is all polices had the different idea. When I did not move in to the road when the vehicles were coming, they said why I was still there and never moved? Then, I used that experiences to practise with other police, he stopped me and said " why don't you wait? "

6 times of Road Test is too much for me already as i was driving in Cambodia more than 5 years. But what to do? Let's see my seventh try!!!

I hope they will have something change about this kind of test program.
Best Luck to everybody!
Thanks

Got mine on the 5th try.....3x qurum 2x rustaq, try for rustaq, roads are less complicated

If your Qatar License expired less than 6 months back, then you can get an Omani License with the expired Qatar License.

Else I would suggest that you renew your Qatar License and then use it get an Omani License.

Regards,
Immanuel.

Hi, I am a lady with a valid Indian Driving License that expires in 2026.

I looking forward to getting an Omani Driving License.
My Husband had a valid Omani License which he took nearly 15 years back.

Is there a provision for my Husband to teach me ?
He said his father taught his mother a long time back (15 yrs ago) and also taught him.
He used the services of a Learning Instructor only to take the test.

Is this possible now?

Well I don't think its that's complicated... I never went for test but its seems very easy and driving is lot easier. Just familiarise yourself with the road signs etc...

Hi Friends,

I am holding U.A.E automatic driving license. Currently I am in Oman on my new job. And when I went to ROP to change my uae license into Omani they said that they cannot change automatic license, They said I have to undergo classes and road test.

Afterall spending a huge money in uae I have got that license also it was told that I can drive in almost 75 countries without a road test.

Can anyone help me in getting my license changed?

perhaps you can change from UAE(Automatic) to Oman (Automatic). Did you ask the police this?

Infact tomorrow I am going to police and get the updates, what do you think, will I get the automatic license of oman?

please teach me about drums passing reverse test!

Hello adanpretty -> Could you please be more explicit? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Michael, Did you check with police regarding the possibility of converting UAE automatic driving license to Oman automatic license. I came recently from UAE and in the same situation like you..

Dear Mr. Michael,
Did you check with ROP police regarding the possibility of converting UAE automatic driving license to Oman automatic license? iam struggling  more than  4 months. I have already spend  more than AED 8000 in Dubai to get the Driving License.

Thank you
Sunil

If only it was so easy... *sigh*

You can get a copy of your license attested by Indian Embassy first and then Ministry of foreign affairs and avail an exemption on Drum and Slope test. You need to go to ROP with attested copy and original license. Take your passpoer, original license, resident card etc...you can get a copy at the indian embassy itself. They will also tell howm any copies of each document are required.

However, if your license is old i.e if it is a license book or a paper license ROP will not accept that. They only accept a Computerised license. So in that case, you will have to take all the tests....meaning more money and time.

Any update?

Dear Mr. Michael,

any update?

Dear Michael Dsouza
I am getting a job in Muscat and I have a valid Automatic License from Al Ain for the last 2 years. I also have a manual license from India which is 10 years old.
What is the ROP's response on the transferring of UAE driving license to Oman driving license.
Please let me know as I need to make up my decision whether to take up this job.
It would be great if you could let me know.
Sailesh
Al Ain

The following tests have to be completed before the issuance of the permit:
Eye Vision test
Traffic Signs test
Drum test
Slope test
Road test

Following website has list of countries and under them are procedures which can help you out.

wikiprocedure.com --> Oman

Hi Aurele

I have seen you commenting on many topics, I am planning to take an offer in Oman.

Any suggestion for me!

Hi,

Automatic license of U.A.E is not valid in Oman.

Here in Oman you need to go for Manual. Because the Omani rule is Male manual and female automatic.

After getting your license you can drive both, but you need to take manual DL as I am doing it now.

Hi,

You cant change U.A.E automatic license to get any license in Oman.

Here you have to give roadtest.

You don't need to give drums, and slop test, its direct road test that too in Manual cars.

Road test is only in Manual cars for male.

I am doing the same.

Hi,

I have got UAE Automatic driving license and want a omani DL now.

What is the procedure of exemption of drum and slope test??

Do I need to get my UAE license attested ??

Please explain.

Thanks in Advance

Hi everybody...
I'm from India and got a valid 4 wheeler driving license issued by India.
In our country they are issuing "International Driving Licence".,

1. with this internation driving license am i able to drive in muscat or i have to get a Omani driving licence.

2. if not what tests i have to give to get Omani driving licence.

3. what is Auto or manual licence please elaborate.

yes you need to apply for omani license before you can drive. Auto mean Automatic and Manual mean manual.

You only need to go for the road test.