KL job offer but concerned about child's schooling

Been offered a position for 30,000 MYR a month which most people say is real nice but it is a local package no expat benefits.  Only extras would be airfare there, temp accommodation for a few weeks, 45,000 MYR for initial expenses, health insurance but that is all.  We have a 5 year old who would need to be in school and international school seems the only option, however the first year costs with admission/application fees seem to be around 80,000 to 100,000 MYR a year !  With the 26% income tax rate that works out to about 110-150,000 MYR gross income.

How is everyone else affording to go to these international schools?  I basically told them the offer is interesting but without anything towards schooling cost I really would have to decline.

I hear expat packages are on a quick decline over there, but do you think it is unreasonable to demand this?

thanks,

D.

Hi HYJapan,

International schools in Kuala Lumpur are expensive. You can however opt for home schooling as other options, they have from primary to A levels. They are much cheaper and you can choose either UK or US syllabus. I paid an average of RM550-RM600 per month.

I sent my son to home schooling since the age of 12. Let me know if you need recommendations.

Have a look at AISM...yes there's a large upfront fee, but the term fees are no where near 80-100,000 MYR per year. In fact i don't know any school that is that expensive!

I am, like you, not on an expat package. I get a great salary, but schools, housing etc are all paid by me rather than the company...something the school can't get their head around!

Yeah I stated 80-100,000 as the first year cost, not the annual tuition fees.  Since this is my first time there I am looking at what the total cost will be for the first year including admission, application, bribe fees....etc....