6 Months in Bogota

since my family and I arrived, many things were a bit difficult especially for me, even when speaking the same language.
bogota seems to be a bit special
but eventually things got better, I think since I started this life of expatriates, making friends is very important part of life samples.
I would like to thank this wedside because thanks to this I met my three best friends
the group is great we are always doing different things, but still I have the desire to continue to meet more people.

Living in Different Countries Is Difficult
  and more When We Moved Every year and a half, I hope and want to stay longer and enjoy of the beauty that gives us Bogota

Kind regard
Johana:D

Thanks for this sharing Johana!;)

Harmonie.

hi i have read your post on expats i thought by contacting you, maybe you can help me with a few questions that i have in my mind.
I am wishing to travel to colombia bogota in the next month and i was hoping that if i like the place then would like to live in their but i was woundering if there is any possible chance for a brittish english person like my self who has no spanish vocabulary or written language would find work so that i can study the language and find work at the same time. please if you can advise on what would be the best possible thing for a person like me todo.

thanks kind regards

ash

Hi Ash

well finding job here all depend of what do you do for living
and yes it's more difficult when you don't speak the language
the other problem is finding job with a company that want to sponsor you in the country.
I have a good friend that can give you better advise he's also in this website his name is Danier Meier he's british knows more than me about business or jobs
other thing is that here is very easy for native english speaker
works as an english teacher and if you need spanish course me and my friend are taking english-Spanish in a good institute and the prices are the best so far.
any way if you come to bogota me my husband and our friends can meet up for beer.

kind regards
Johanna

Hello Ash,

I am Danny, who Johanna mentioned in the above post. The most difficult thing I have encountered with regards to living in Colombia is the whole visa process. There is a large amount of beaurocracy, but, given this country's past it's not surprising. I came here to pursue a job opportunity and so had the benefit of sponsorship. If you do not have an existing job opportunity in place, then, my suggestion would be to look into teaching English as an entry route. Colombia is a thriving country and there are numerous language schools here, all of whom prefer native British-English speakers. TEFL qualifications are not always necessary but, there are programmes available that will also sort out working visas for a year (maybe longer)and a teaching placement in a school.Also having a TEFL or equivilant will not only help the working visa / job search but will help you when it comes to teaching. You can subsidise your income by teaching English privately - it is quite well paid. That is my suggestion for getting your foot in the door so to speak.
Alternatively, you can look for jobs in Bogota online, however, as Johanna has already mentioned not speaking Spanish will probably count against you in the professional arena here.

I will say this; Colombia has a lot to be proud of, it has done a lot to clean up the problems it has had and the girls are lovely ;) Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to contact us should you need more help in any way.

Kindest regards,
Danny

Hello, good day. I can agree with Danny, about how Colombia is trying to present itsself as the different and better country most people know. I lived there for almost 3,5 year and with giving English lessons I had a good time to stay. I have known this country as friendly and the colombians are always ready to help. It's nature is marvelous and there are lot's of things to do and to discover. :D
There is a dutchman in Bogota who has a small travel agency specialized in inland travels
His mobile is: 00 57 312 3510753
Have a very good time there.
Pedro Juan

Hi, my name is Carly and I just arrived in Bogota last Thursday.  I am really liking the experience so far.  If any of you would like to get together with a newbie, that would be great!  I lived in Buenos Aires for 2 1/2 years and am hoping that I'll love Colombia so much, I'll want and be able to stay.  I really don't want to put my dog on another plane!!!

Cheers!
Carly