Cost of living in Pudong area of shanghai

I may be moving to Shanghai soon, and was wondering about the cost of living.

I would be working in the Pudong area and would look for a commute of half an hour or less. I am currently on the equivalent of approximately 25K RMB a month (this gives me good living in the UK).  With no increase in Salary, would I be able to expect a high standard of living and manage to save some cash as well?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Pete

Welcome to Expat.com Pete!

Have you gone through the different discussions of the forum? This may give an idea to you.

Harmonie.

Hi Harmonie,

Thanks for your suggestion, I did look at some of the more recent posts befiore asking this question, and I get the impression that any budget is possible in Shanghai, but it depends on where someone stays and how they live.

This is why I've asked this question (again) with a specific location in mind.

Peter

Less than 1 % of people in Shanghai get 25K RMB per month.

Some tips:
1. Check out your after-tax amount after tax deduction from salary.

2. Cost of living depends on the area you live in in Pudong itself. There are expat apartments, and also respectable local apartments. Cost of respectable 1-room apartment should be about RMB4-5K. Of course you can even get more expensive ones.

3. As for food, depends on where you live too. In expat areas, the food locations are mostly mid-range restaurants. Each simple meal could cost about RMB30. In local areas, a simple meal may cost RMB15.
4. Starting cost of a cab ride is RMB14. A 15minute ride would cost about RMB18. A metro ride is RMB4. A bus ride is RMB2.  Again, it really depends what mode of transport you're comfortable with.

25K RMB a month is definitely enough for you to lead a respectable life. You may like to think about how much you're happy with saving per month, then work out how much your expenses should be.     

My few cents' worth.