Considering a Teaching Job in Abu Dhabi, Have Some Questions...

Hello I am a 24 year old American single male considering taking a teaching job in Abu Dhabi this August and I was hoping someone who lives there could help me with some cost of living questions:

1. My housing is taken care of & my monthly salary is 11,000 AED.. I want to travel on my vacations and have fun but also want to save. Will this salary allow me to do that?  How much do you think I could save?

2. How much do groceries cost? Entertainment?

3. What is the process for buying alcohol for private consumption?

4. How much do taxis cost from one side of town to the other?

5. How much does joing a Gym cost?

6. What is the nightlife like?

7. I used to live in Cairo, how does Abu Dhabi compare (culture, fun, level of anti-American sentiment, ect.)?

8. What are the beaches like?

9. How is the food?

10. Anything else I should know??

If anyone could answer any of these questions that would be great! Thank you in advance!

I am considering the same move with my family - I haven't been able to find anyone who has worked for the UAE school system - I have done some research and come to the conclusion that I could probably get by spending 15-20,000 USD a year (there are 4 of us) and that would be bare minimum, so as a single guy you would probably be in good shape.  You could probably save at least 20,000 USD of your salary. 

As for the beaches, I hear they are great (though you have to pay to use them) and there seems to be very little anti-western sentiment as most of the city is made up of expats.

The taxi minimum is 10 AED (about 3.50 USD) and a bus pass is $40 USD a month (but limited routes)

Have you already been offered a position?  If so how did the interview go? My interview is coming up soon and any information would help!

Eric

Ohhh, I am considering working for them, too...when is your interview? Have you gotten any info, yet?

Hello,

I was hired as a secondary teacher in the first round of interviews in late april.  I accepted the job and am looking forward to moving in August!  Let me know if you have any questions!  Is-Salamu Alekum!

Adam

Thanks!  I was hired as well and plan on moving the family there in August as well - I'll be in Al Ain.  I heard that it is a good city for families.  Have you heard anything about it? 

Congrats!

Eric

Hi Eric have you heard any more about Al Ain. I have been offered a contract at ENS in the Kindergarten. We will need to be over there by August 23rd.

I'd like to know how cheap the cost of groceries is? Is it cheaper to eat out?

Also what is the price of electricals like? Should we bring things like irons etc with us?

I'm really excited but anxious that I have not yet had a contract to sign.

Which school are you working for? Have you signed a contract yet?

Claire

Hi, I have asked questions also about the cost of living, re groceries and gyms. But have not had any response. I am vegan and would really like toknow how and where to get good quality fresh green groceries. I am a gym nut also and wonder if there arte gyms in al ain also.

I am momving to Al Ain in a months time, is it possible to take dvd's into the country and also prescribed medication?

Hey all,

I have lived in Abu Dhabi for the past 19 years and am currently in the proccess of creating a website for people who want to come live here, so I have and idea of what the place is like. :)

Groceries tend to be relatively cheap because it isn't taxed, for example it's around 3 dollars for a 2 litre carton of milk and butter is under 2 dollars.

To buy alcohol you need to get yourself a liquor license through your employer, but this rule isn't strictly enforced as many booze shops will sell it to you if you don't have one.

Taxi prices can vary depending on traffic, which can get really bad in the city at certain times, also after 10 pm prices increase. It can cost between 10-20 dirhams.

There are loads of gyms in Abu Dhabi, the really top class health clybs that belong to a hotel cost up to 1100 a year, but they also come with swimming pools tennis/squash courts and so on. If you just want a gym it might cost a couple of thousand to become a member. 

The night life is pretty lousy to be honest, a lot of the night clubs are dingy, but there are a small number of nice ones. There are a few good bars as well.

The beaches are ok, don't expect crystal clear water or anything like you get in the Mediterranean.

Like all countries you can get good food and bad food.

If you have any more questions I'll make sure to check up this thread.

Hope this helps. If your interested in some more information your welcome to have a look at my website. :)

abudhabi-expat-life.com/

nattxan wrote:

I am momving to Al Ain in a months time, is it possible to take dvd's into the country and also prescribed medication?

Be very careful with bringing DVDs into the country , They are very strict here with copyright and will confiscate and prosecute anything that is inappropriate to this country and Im not only talking about Adult movies, remember its a Muslim country.

They do have Video Stores here, and you do get people selling pirated movies at your door but be careful if you get caught ,will mean imprisonment and deportation.

Prescribed Medication is fine, You will also get a blood test when you apply for your residency to check for HIV and illegal drugs.

Hey!
I've just seen a job for a school in Abu Dhabi which again would start in August. Are you working at internetional schools or english speaking UAE schools?

I don't know much about the salary of the job but there is accomondation included which seems good as what i've been reading suggests that finding accomodation is a nightmare at the minute.

Also going back to medication, I take regular medication is this likley to be covered by medical insurance?

Thanks

Kyla

ALS0520 wrote:

Hello I am a 24 year old American single male considering taking a teaching job in Abu Dhabi this August and I was hoping someone who lives there could help me with some cost of living questions:

1. My housing is taken care of & my monthly salary is 11,000 AED.. I want to travel on my vacations and have fun but also want to save. Will this salary allow me to do that?  How much do you think I could save?

2. How much do groceries cost? Entertainment?

3. What is the process for buying alcohol for private consumption?

4. How much do taxis cost from one side of town to the other?

5. How much does joing a Gym cost?

6. What is the nightlife like?

7. I used to live in Cairo, how does Abu Dhabi compare (culture, fun, level of anti-American sentiment, ect.)?

8. What are the beaches like?

9. How is the food?

10. Anything else I should know??

If anyone could answer any of these questions that would be great! Thank you in advance!

I COULD HELP WITH A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS MAYBE SOME OTHERS ON HERE COULD ASSIST..

1.Vacations all depends on where you want to travel ,check out travel sites to see how much it will cost and youll be able to estimate how long it will take you to save.
Me and my husband just got back from a week vacation in U.K and it cost us around AED/17,000.00 this is for 2 persons.

2.Groceries around AED150pw single person.

3.To purchase alchohol for private consumption as a resident you require a License which is based on your income as too how much you can buy. For application forms pop into Spinneys and pick one up. you will need passport details , NOC from your company, an 2 passport photos and payment of fee.
As a tourist you can consume alchohol freely at one of the many hotels/clubs. But cannot transport Alchohol.

4.Sorry only taken taxi to Airport AED70 flat fee.
5.My Gym membership cost AED500 per month, But varies as to where you go so pays to shop around, Resorts a alot more expensive.

6.-
7.-
8. Beaches a lovely ,but a seperated to womens only and family beaches not sure where you go as a bachelor.

9. The restaurants here a great a large variety to choose from.
Spinneys a really good supermarket which sells good quality fresh fruit and veges and meat.

10.Just be prepared for Crazy driving and things to be a little disorganise and some what backward to what your used too.

Hopefully I could shed some light...All the best on your move.

epeterson40 wrote:

I am considering the same move with my family - I haven't been able to find anyone who has worked for the UAE school system - I have done some research and come to the conclusion that I could probably get by spending 15-20,000 USD a year (there are 4 of us) and that would be bare minimum, so as a single guy you would probably be in good shape.  You could probably save at least 20,000 USD of your salary. 

As for the beaches, I hear they are great (though you have to pay to use them) and there seems to be very little anti-western sentiment as most of the city is made up of expats.

The taxi minimum is 10 AED (about 3.50 USD) and a bus pass is $40 USD a month (but limited routes)

Have you already been offered a position?  If so how did the interview go? My interview is coming up soon and any information would help!

Eric

Hi Eric if you want to find more about School systems the EXPAT WOMENS website is great all those ladies know everything about the schools there children go too and will be able to assit.

Cheers

My wife and I are considering coming over to teach. We have discussed this with teachaway.com. They seem to be a good company, but we don't know where are 2 children would be educated? Can anyone advise us on How to get the best contracts and where we would send our children to school?

I too would be looking for a high school for my 15 year old American daughter although the school pays 50% of the tuition (phew)

Hi
You are welcome to Abu dhabi!
I was born here and I have a friend from most country in the world
The following links shows the best school
http://www.uae.embassy.gov.au/abud/adschools.html
If u need anything plz ask me

aasb wrote:

Good afternoon,
       I am a history teacher interested in teaching overseas.  I have a BA in Anthropology and Sociology, and an MA in Social Science Education.  I have 6 years experience teaching Middle School History in one of the top performing schools in Florida.  Can you offer any advice on how to further pursue an overseas teaching career? 
Sincerely,
Amy Burton

Teach Away does a lot of hiring for UAE or ISS schools or you can apply to them directly.  I didn't go over because I have a teenage daughter and couldn't find suitable schooling that did not cost an arm and a leg.  They will be interested in your experience, classroom mgt, but NOT your history because you won't teach it there.  You are there to teach English.  It can be a horror story or a great experience depending on the school you are assigned.  I would apply to private schools in AD or Dubai only.  That will minimize the culture shock.  Those who are placed in the right schools love it.

Dvd's and prescribed medication are ok.