Where to live, how much to pay?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to move to Cairo later this year and am looking for some advice on where is the best place to live and some guidance on what rent I should expect to pay.

I'm a freelance journalist and would be working from home but also need to be reasonably close to central Cairo for access to government buildings etc..

I've been looking around and Dokki and Maddi appeal so far. I'd need internet access, air con and would like a clean, modern apartment that's in a quiet area. From what I've read, rents seem to vary tremendously. I'm looking for a one or two bedroom apartment and have seen them rented from as little as 2,500 Egyptian Pounds to thousands of $US a month. My budget is around $US1,200 but of course if I can get something decent for less then I'm eager to know...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Expat.com!

You may want to have a look at the Cairo classifieds > accommodation section and post an advert there as well.

It might help you.

I wish you good luck in your search.
Christine

I think Zamalek or Maadi would be a better match for your needs.

However rents in both are kind of high.

I think a one bed room with AC, Internet Access ...etc. would be within your range in Zamalek.

However, parking in both Zamalek and Maadi is a real concern, so if you plan on owning/renting a car, brace yourself for the daily tormenting 30-to-60-minutes ride looking for a parking spot.

Thanks for your advice The Egyptian. I'm not planning on having a car so am not worried by the parking issues you describe...thankfully.

As a matter of interest, why would you not recommend Dokki?

Regards,

Kevin

journodow wrote:

Thanks for your advice The Egyptian. I'm not planning on having a car so am not worried by the parking issues you describe...thankfully.

As a matter of interest, why would you not recommend Dokki?

Regards,

Kevin

Well, Dokki is less classy than Zamalek and Maadi, it still has expats but in a lesser manner as well. Last but not least, traffic is chronically congested in Dokki around 8-10 AM, 4-6 PM and in weekends I would never dare to go there in the evening.

Zamalek and Maadi suffer from some of this also but to a much lesser degree.

P.S: I have worked in Dokki for about a year.

Thanks for your help The Egyptian.

journodow wrote:

Thanks for your help The Egyptian.

Most welcome

welcome to Egypt Kevin

i Think Mouhandeseen, Zamalek, Dokki, Maadi, AGouza on the Nile you will find everything you are willing to find in these places also its very close to downtown - but for more cheaper prices i recommend you to search for flat in Haram ,Faysal, 6 of october City and Shiekh Zayed city.. in shiekh zayed city the prices is okay and safe place  with Hyper Mall and security around the city.

best regards
welcome to you again

KingTut wrote:

welcome to Egypt Kevin

i Think Mouhandeseen, Zamalek, Dokki, Maadi, AGouza on the Nile you will find everything you are willing to find in these places also its very close to downtown - but for more cheaper prices i recommend you to search for flat in Haram ,Faysal, 6 of october City and Shiekh Zayed city.. in shiekh zayed city the prices is okay and safe place  with Hyper Mall and security around the city.

best regards
welcome to you again

He needs to be close to downtown. Sheikh Zayed is by no means less than 1 hour and a half away from downtown (unless he's going at 4 AM !)

Thanks King Tut for the advice. Also The Eqyptian. It's all very useful.