Need help finding apartment

I am having major problems renting in Belo Horizonte. I have money to rent but everyone is wanting me to provide Brazil documents. I dont have. I work in Angola African 30 days and return to Brazil for 30 days. I need help finding apartment, living in hotels is expensive.Anyone outhere help me if you can.

Hi zacarceneaux and welcome to Expat.com!

A new topic has been created on the forum, as you were off-topic on the other discussion.

Concerning the Brazil documents, hope that someone will help you to find an issue.
I may suggest you to post an advert in Belo Horizonte classifieds > accommodation too, this may help.

Harmonie.

I agree with Harmonie!
Do you have any difficult with language? I'm asking because, if you want, you can rent a room in a house in Belo Horizonte. There's this possibility.
For example, I will move soon, but I didn't decide yet if I will rent a house for me or a room in a house. Depends, in my case, I want everywhere next to my university.
Regards.

where can i find furnished apartment in belo horizonte
on an average budget as im a house wife i need some basic amenities please help

Hi Renataeloa and sresta,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope you will find your experience here on the blog both enjoyable and informative.

You will quickly find out that there is virtually no such thing as a 'furnished apartment or house' rental here in Brazil. The only exceptions to this are:

posuadas (like B&B), residence hotels or privately owned homes and apartments in tourist destinations that may be rented on a daily/weekly/monthly/seasonal basis. These are all typically very expensive.

One is best off actually walking around in a neighborhood they find interests them and look for signs announcing rentals directly through the owner (aluga-se, trata com proprietário), rent a vacant house or apartment and buy furnishings, piece by piece if need be.

There is an excessive bureaucracy regarding rental through real estate agencies in Brazil and by law, rental contracts are for 30 months. There is no such thing as a 'short-term' rental unless you can arrange one under the table.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Harmonie, in the classifieds there does not seem to be a class for "accomodation." Is it hard to rent a home with a family? I would enjoy that. I am a 42 year old single woman, arriving May for 3 months. What is the best way to find accomodation?

Angela

Hi Angela,

How's everything back in the Pacific Northwest these days? I have many fond memories of numerous vacations in Oregon; mostly in the Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Tillamook, Newport area.

Finding short-term rental accommodations in Brazil can be problematic since the laws have changed requiring that rental contracts be for a fixed period of thirty (30) months, if you terminate the contract anytime during the first year there is a contractual fine equal to the entire remaining balance of the first year's rent. Folling the twelfth month there no longer is a fine involved. Usually you are required to pay a two month deposit on the apartment, which is used as the last two months rent once you've given notice that you will vacate.

For rentals shorter than this you are pretty much stuck with a situation of finding a rental directly with the owner of the property and renting without a contract. You will find that money talks (very loudly) in Brazil, so if you can afford to pay the entire three months rent in advance and do so in cash you will probably stand a much better chance of having some success.

You will have to arrive in the city where you plan on staying and take a hotel for a short while, start wandering around in the neighborhood that most interests you and look for signs offering rentals direct with the owner (aluga-se trata com proprietário) and make your pitch. Lots of people will jump at the chance to get money in their hot little hands and wait for a few more months to rent out the property, since it might sit vacant for that time otherwise.

Good luck house hunting. Keep me posted and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team