Hello KL! New member in need of advice.. Thanks for looking..

Hello Kl forum,

This seems like a great place to post and hopefully get some advice and answers. I've posted on other sites but people don't bother to reply!!

So i'm in a bit of a jam here and hope that all you seasoned ex pats can help...

I'm in Singapore till the 23rd and need to get moved to KL. My husband is away in the US (for training) and has left this task to me.. thanks baby...

Well it's sort of my fault, I really put up a fuss about moving to KL ( i've never left the airport and anyone i ask about kL says dont do it). I had planned on finding a new place in singapore. But once i started doing some research into KL I think it would be a wise choice to get the heck out of here.

Anyone lived in Singapore and moved to KL site unseen? any regrets?

I need to find a mover that will transport my stuff to KL from Singapore. It's not a whole house, mostly boxes but to much to put in a car and drive up. Most places wont deliver to Kl or want to charge anywhere from S 400-1000?

I will need a storage unit in kL till I find a place to live..

I also am looking for a short term rental ? serviced apartment? that I can stay in for a month or so but not require me to be there for 3 months! Somewhere safe, with things to do close by since I wont have a car yet, and with a gym/pool? KLCC? gd/bad idea? should I look in the suburbs? my hubby wont be joining me for 3 wks so will be on my own.. would like an area that i can walk around, see the sights and meet some other expats.

I also need to find a good realtor for a long term rental? can anyone give me a contact that they used? not getting any return calls or emails..

What area should i check out? my husband wont need to go to his office every day and we don't have any kids yet so we can live just about anywhere (not big city people and have a decent budget for housing). plan on getting a car after we get settled.

I've been talking with his company and trying to get some help/ advice from them but it's going nowhere..

Thank you in advance for reading this any any help would be appreciated..

I'm starting to freak out!

Hi gypsy76 and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for sharing this with us.;)
I may suggest you to post in Singapore forum too, this may help.;)

Concerning the accommodation, you may take a look at the Kuala Lumpur classifieds, this will be advantageous to you.

For the movers, just look at this page > https://www.expat.com/en/movers/asia/ma … la-lumpur/.;)

Hope it helps,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Gypsy,

I feel for you, lots to do with lil time, been there done that.

On advice on movers, am sure the Expat.com provided by Harmonie will be of good use to you; failing which, you may try crownline.com.my. I find this company quite good.

[Moderated: please communicate by PM]

I now am living in Mont Kiara and I am loving this place. There are lots of expats here and the people here are just lovely, not forgetting safe and surrounded by malls, offices and international schools. There are also patrol cars to monitor the neighbourhood. Mont Kiara is located just outside the city centre and is about 15 min to KLCC and other big shopping complexes. Plus, the new palace for the king is nearby.

Hope the above helps. Btw, am an Aussie from Perth.

Warren

Hi Gypsy,

Please check your PM. :)

I'm stayed in Mont Kiara area too, and agreed on Warren comment. This is a safe and convenience area.

Cheers!

Hi well f you want a suburb then pj near a commuter line would be good.

Mont kiara is like marmitte. You love it or hate it! A friend said it looks like birmingham so refused to live there lol. It's full of students and rather a concrete hell hole in my opinion but as I said love it or hate it. I hate it.

Bangsar is more civilised, ampang better for klcc traffic and KL sentral condos are perfect for commuting!

Whether you want to be near expats or not is a personal choice as well. Some of pj is lovely and houses are far better value to rent than overpriced expat condos. But then you get a pool and a chance to meet other expats in expat areas. You are bet to get a service condo near klcc then have a look round. Have fun packing! And becareful Malaysians working at ports etc have light fingers.....

Try Singapore forum

Thanks for all of usefull tips.

I found a moving company that I hope will work out well. I had no idea how difficult it could be to find one that will ship my belongings and also store them in KL. I had planned on going up the day before and checking in on my stuff but found that the "storage unit" is quite a way out of town.

Anyone know of an actual storage unit? one that you rent by the month, have the only set of keys and can get things out when you need to? couldn't find much.

I am also confused on this LE tax for appliances. I understand the idea is to prevent new items purchased in singapore and then resold in malayasia but why should i pay a "fee" for anything that's electric and used?

I mean really.. I have to make a list of everything that plugs in and pay a tax on it. a hairdryer? a clock radio?

I am a little worried about my movie collection and a few expensive things like my camera and camcorder but don't have room to take them with me.

Anyone have anything go missing that i should make sure I dont ship?

And who uses Volume Metric for shipping sizes? Still have no idea how that works...the guy explained it to me but i still dont get it.

As for a short term rental i've decided to go on holiday and deal with it when my husband is back so I might have an easier time finding something. It was going to cost more to stay in KLCC for 2 wks than go thailand.

Can you rent/lease an apartment without a work/employment pass??

Thanks again for the advice!

GUPER INTEGRATED LOGISTICS SDN BHD

He gave me his number while I was servicing my car.
He told me that he did work for Australians,he based in Kuala Lumpur,he speaks English & he seams his doing this for a long time.

try Asian Tigers or MIGroup (global), they are managing my move...costly yes, but very very reliable