Just a Nightmare

Never though I would say this but living in Bermuda can be a nightmare. I moved here for work last December and my wife arrived in June. She is still looking for work while getting brutal treatment from Immigration. We have both dealt with surly attitudes from everyone working in retail and customer service and TCD is an absolute nightmare. The biggest issue is the absurdity insane cost of living which my salary barely covers. If the wife doesn't get work soon we are outtie!

bumski.  at least you have a job.  hard to find a job in bermuda.

gigs1777 wrote:

Never though I would say this but living in Bermuda can be a nightmare. I moved here for work last December and my wife arrived in June. She is still looking for work while getting brutal treatment from Immigration. We have both dealt with surly attitudes from everyone working in retail and customer service and TCD is an absolute nightmare. The biggest issue is the absurdity insane cost of living which my salary barely covers. If the wife doesn't get work soon we are outtie!

Are you outtie?

Hello treece -> To note that this thread is dated 2011! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

I know this post is old but feel it should not stand unchallenged.
Research is essential - coming out here without work and hoping to get work is probably not a good thing as they have been quite restrictive on what ex-pats can and cannot do.  They have to be to protect the Bermudians - how would we feel if we suddenly found all the jobs we were qualified to do were taken by foreigners?  But the new government this year are more understanding about the economy and maybe job opportunities will improve for ex-pats.
Since being here I have heard it said that the minimum salary for succeeding as an ex-pat and all the costs of living would be around $80,000.  So if the salary offered is much lower then you may need to rethink the logistics of relocating here.
The TCD - this is Transport Control Department - on an island just 21 miles long and as heavily populated then they have to be very very strict about who gets licences and how they drive. In some ways having to take a driving test after 30 years driving safely in Uk is an insult - but despite the apparent similarity with British roads it is a very different experience driving here.  You SHOULD take a few orientating driving lessons with a local instructor - we used Mike Smith of My Way Driving School (dont be put off by the naff car and scrappy inside).  He will tell you exactly what you have to do to pass, a failsafe way to parallel park and reverse and all the little odd junctions around hamilton that can catch you out in a test.  Lessons cost $60 for an hour and to use his car for the test is another $30.  This sounds harsh but we did the theory test, got provisional licence, had lessons and passed practical test and got full licence all within 6 days - you could NOT do that in UK.  Yes we trailed from one desk to another within the TCD but it is air conditioned and has plenty of seats, and we walked out with everything we needed (minus the $$ for licences etc).  By the way you do not pay for the test, only for the licence when you pass.
I would be interested to know if the author stayed or went - I guess by the silence they went back home.