Before signing an employment contract...

Hello :)

The past few days I've read more or less of certain work issued posts in this forum. And I was shocked about the story of some of the forum members in this topic: Psychotic episodes

The main reason I've opened a new topic is:

What do you, expats in Malta, suggest to be carefull about when getting hired for a job in general?
(before signing any employment contracts)
How do Maltese accept foreigners into their collectives?
(positive and negative aspects)

I'd especially appreciate any feedback from fellow IT people, since I'm job hunting in this sector.

Thank you in advance for your responses

Sunny greatings from Slovenia
Bostjan

Hiya Buds,

As any contract you have Read it and then read it again, I have just had my Job title changed and they issued me another contract with another 6 month probation Period... I have not signed this other contract as of yet as I am under the assumption that the period of employment is still the same its just a Job Title Changed... this will probrably be argued though...

As far as getting into the work place collective, i have had no problems and all, well most of the people that are in the work enviroment are really nice and have made me feel very very welcome.

PM me with your CV and I will see if we have anything here for you, you never know, i will pass it to our COO.

Good luck in the Hunting... btw its easier when you are here to get work.... as you can go to interviews straight away etc...

Regards

J.

Hi Buds,

the post you are referring too is as realistic as it can get!

Read any contract offered very carefully , word for word and line for line and question everything. Do not opt for anything that is promised but not guaranteed. Check out the wage/salary being offered. The whole Maltese economy works on being cheap for someone including you. Wages less than minimum but topped up by an undefined 'bonus' are normal.

If the job offered does not work out do not expect to find anything better. Unless you are taking the job of CEO at AirMalta or HSBC or a few other companies.

If you are really the best in your profession it works the other way around. Then you can let them pay. But your salary will still be very low on international standards.

I'm just hearing about an example of an Expat delivering good work for a low salary but the 2 Maltese collegues rely on the Expat doing their job too as they are not capable of doing their own work.

Bottom line. Be very careful with what you sign and the company you are dealing with. I got p.....off  from dealing with Maltese companies when I was offered less than 4 € per hour for an IT job asking for native speakers skills in 2 languages plus a third language and the head of HR didn't even inform me that she was 'sick' and wouldn't be there for the interview! What a joke!  She was looking for a reliable person being able to work to a deadline! Only in Malta !

Cheers
Ricky

sounds so familiar Ricky...OIM

Thank you all for your helpful advices

@ scubaboy – maybe the next time they'll change your job title into CEO :cool:
Since I've had some »basic« phone interviews already, we're (+GF) flying down next week, for the real thing. Can't wait!

@ ricky – The 4€/h rate is absolutely absurd – even students in Slovenia are usually paid better (in comparison)! I hope you don't have anymore problems and that you're satisfied with your current job.

Kind regards,
Bostjan

Hi Bostjan,

I wish you all the luck.

Actually the 4 €/hour is not that absurd in Malta !

But don't worry about me . I don't need a job as I already am a CEO and was just looking for something to keep me busy and stop my brain from getting 'rusty'.

Cheers
Ricky