Taking landlord to court

Afternoon :)

Sorry this is so brief... Does anyone know which department to contact in order to take my landlord to court over failure to return deposit etc? Usual story I'm afraid...

If you read French, there are a couple of posters on the French forum who are having troubles with their landlord. From the advices being given, consult a lawyer first before deciding how to proceed  ( there are no dept. per se and the police , well......)

Thanks mate :)

so what if my landlord wanted to take ME to court? I imagine that would be easy... lol

ok, here's what i tried to advise to a friend on the french forum strawb:

if u're sure of his commitment to the contract, then u should go with  a lawyer; i have a friend who does great, in law stuffs and legal advice, first counselling is free, but if you need to go further you'll need the charges.

at once, i can think of him not paying you, because he has an escape goat, on what is written in his contract; so screw the bolts first, see if he has one; if yes, dont venture in

if no, then u can proceed sueing: but best is to go with a lawyer; because mauritius can provide you with a lawyer at court, and it may be clumsy...

in all, u can try to negociate with him, or ask a third-party to drop in, and act as facilitation to the mode...

well, good luck, i wish you the best. if you want my lawyer's details, and thus my recommending, drop a pv,

all the way,
cheers
I.

Stawb

If you have written contract that should not be a problem (breach of contract).You have to contact a Solicitor not a Barrister. If you need a number for a good one PM me.

Thank you all :)

I am looking at my options at the moment. I hope it doesn't come to it.

Hi I never took a landlord to court myself. But I did try to take a builder to Court. I was advised to not bother as by the time it would get to court (years) I would have paid more to retain a solicitor and so on.
Have you complained to the police first? I did ask their advice and they said unless I reported it as fraud they could not do anything!

Joe - Pereybere.

We are having this same issue in Tamarin too. We consulted a lawyer who said the same as someone previously - would take so long and cost almost as much as the deposit itself. We really have very little come back. Sadly I now see why so many people are recommending not to pay your last months rent. It is incredibly unfair. Good luck.

lisagylsen wrote:

We are having this same issue in Tamarin too. We consulted a lawyer who said the same as someone previously - would take so long and cost almost as much as the deposit itself. We really have very little come back. Sadly I now see why so many people are recommending not to pay your last months rent. It is incredibly unfair. Good luck.

I would imagine though that if you win, then the party that loses would be liable for the all of the court costs anyway (in the same way as it works in the UK). So on that basis I'm prepared to proceed as I can't stand dishonest people. PRINCIPALS lol :)

Hi ,

Well that is a risk you have to take. How long it takes to go to court, who you may have to retain, and so on. There is not guarantee you are going to win. There are a lot of variables to factor in. He could clain you damaged the property and so on.

I often put my pride and principles to one side where a long haul court case is waiting.

Joe Grennell

True, but in this case the landlord has already agreed that there were no damages to speak of and has agreed in writing to pay me most of my deposit back. They just haven't done it lol. I would be quite confident of winning in that case :)