Intercultural marriages

Hello to all of you. My fiance and I have been toying with the idea of moving to India at some point. He is from Bangalore and I am Mexican. Do you think we would be accepted by the community? will we get many stares? He says I could look Indian unless I open my mouth.
I am travelling to India this July for the first time. Hope my doubts are better cleared there.
Thanks in advance.

Heyyy you need not worry about that, Bangalore is a very good city to live and the people are kind and very friendly. You won't look odd to people you can lead the way you are currently leading...

welcome to bangalore

Shiv Kumar

anahisc wrote:

Hello to all of you. My fiance and I have been toying with the idea of moving to India at some point. He is from Bangalore and I am Mexican. Do you think we would be accepted by the community? will we get many stares? He says I could look Indian unless I open my mouth.
I am travelling to India this July for the first time. Hope my doubts are better cleared there.
Thanks in advance.

It won't be a issue.

Hi,

May be May be Not. Depends....

Bangalore is a very modern and open city that embraces people from all walks of life.More often than not people won't really bother weather you are a Mexican or Indian because everyone here is busy with their own life....

But more often than not...it will depend on your hubby and secondly on you....i mean how you carry yrselves around but in any case i am sure you will have fun in this city...learn bit of Indian culture and way of life and you will be loved.

My best wishes for both of you.I am a Bangalorean for past 9 yrs and if you ever need any assistance i would be willing to do so within my capacity.

Cheers

Hi Anilu,

thanks for your post.  we have a very very similar situation:-)

my BF is also from bangalore and we are planning to get married and move there some time this year.  i'm indian but i've never been to india, and dont speak the language - so like you i'm a bit apprehensive about it.   we have got to keep in touch, i want to hear about how your trip in july goes :-)

i think hes right when he says u will totally blend in because mexicans and indians look so similar.  i have tons of mexican friends and i know the cultures are very much alike as well in many ways.  i bet people would be intrigued by you, and in a country with so much of the 'same' you would be a breath of fresh air for many :-)  the most important thing i would imagine is that his family is ok with it, cause with indian guys families are so so important (you might know this by now)...  do you know how they feel about it all?

heres some blogs of western/foreign women getting married and moving to india, a friend of mine found them for me and reading it has been so so informative:

gorigirl.com

alaivani.com/Blog/tabid/56/Default.asp

neokalypso.wordpress.com

whiteindianhousewife.com/2006/04/finding-myself-in-kolkata

hope that helps :-)  lets please keep in touch :-)

Hi:

There is no need to scare. I am also in Indian and at one point of time I had a Mexican girl friend. People in India are very welcoming. Its not that you have to remain quiet. As a matter of fact you can talk to people in India as people know English here.
So no need to be afraid.

ola...in regard to your question..the stares...welll get ready..u gonna get loads of them.my wifes european...so we get our regular dose of stares each and every day...no escape there....white/black/brown dosent matter what skin color u have..stares are a part of my daily life here unfortunately...dont let it get to you.. enjoy your trip...

hey...no worries at all...bangaloreans are very warm, nice and chill people...
about the stares...you will get used to...there are harmful thou..

You may actually get a lot of stares. Even if not by regular people on the road, at least from your hubby's family circle, especially if they are very traditional. However, do not worry. Though you may get some stares, people are very warm hearted in Bangalore. They will like you once they know you. Just learn the culture here and try to blend into the family. Your in-laws and their families will definitely start liking you. Don't worry about the people outside.

And Salona, thank you for the links. I am in a relationship with a Ukrainian girl who I intend to marry. So those links may help a lot.

- Cheers

Hi all and thanks for your lovely comments.
As you may have seen in the date of my first post, I have already beeen to India (twice already) and the things I noted are:
1. No stares. Not as I had expected. Maybe I didn't notice but never felt uncomfortable.
2. People in the shops first talked to me in Kannada and when I didn't respond, they tried hindi. Someone said I look bengali which is good.
3. Many people wore traditional outfits but many more wore westernised clothes so I dind't stand out.
I don't think I can ever live in Bangalore. Traffic is tiring. A daily commute to and from work (if I find a job) would be too much and since I won't be able to drive, I would be too dependent on others.

Thanks again :)

Karthik u r welcome.  Your GF might find them even more useful than u :-)

so Anahisc what does this mean?  no move to bangalore?  r u guys still together?  if so where will u live... ?

i'm sad,  i thought us two south africans will conquer the city :-(

sorry i got you mixed up with another blogger.  u r Mexican :-)

Hi all, sorry for not having given you more details.
We are very much together. We got married last year. We live in Scotland and we had discussed the idea of us moving to India eventually but nothing for certain or in the near future.
We went to India last year on honeymoon and again this year for a cousin's wedding. His family is lovely and very accepting. Everybody speaks English. It's great to go on holiday but can't see myself living there.