Cost of living in jakarta

I am employed in jakarta, indonesia. I want to know the cost of living in jakarta. I have salary of 60, 00 , 000 indonesian rupiah per month. Can i live a comfortable life with this salary per month? my expense would include rent of simple one room flat also along with daily foods cooked by myself...................
please reply me and guide me accordingly..

hello..

cost of living actually depending .. is it 6,000,000 or 60,000,000 ? which part of jakarta? i suggest you to find place near by your work place because jakarta traffic is soo hehehe. And beside,could save the cost.

it is 6,000,000 can u help me out....

where do u work?name of area?

shi28288 wrote:

it is 6,000,000 can u help me out....

Sounds like an EF salary.

You can live happily on it if you don't booze or eat out all that much.
Assuming you have a degree, you can easily double that or even triple it by getting a real teaching job outside a language mill.

NOTE - Some language schools have a bad rep for not sorting out the correct paperwork and visa.

Don't take any excuses - make sure you have a work permit and visa. It's you that'll end up in trouble while the employer pays a small bribe and gets nothing.

Where will you be living?

i'll try to help, but where in jakarta ? there are plenty of room for rent

6 mil a month ain't bad. Nah, scratch that--it ain't bad. Period. But not exactly apt for lavish lifestyle, either. The very least, one could still save--especially if there's family in tow. If one is single, even better. But still need to save.

IMO

^
But the bad end of an expat salary.

I suppose. But it's subjective, though. I mean, relative to each individual's preferred lifestyles. In terms of dumb down from what you're better used to in home country--especially Europeans and Americans, of course it is.

What's the usual range of an expat salary, anyway? If I'm privy to, of course :)

6 million for an expat is low for a monthly income especially if there is no housing allowance. Normally even the lowest expat teachers have the housing allowance and then if they are earning 6-8 million (at the bottom end of the teaching pay scale) their salary is almost 100% disposable. In that context they are better off that than they were in the west but it still is still hard to save money and enjoy the city and country.

Heh. Being an Indonesian, if I have 6-8 million salary in a regular basis, I wouldn't complain and won't find it hard to save. Not that I contradict anything, though. Simply that, to each his own. Conditions, situations, considerations.

:)

Hi You'v not mentioned if need to save or not. If you are simple you can live within 30,00,000 per month.

Hi I have got an job offer from Indonesia Jakarta plz can some body let me know what is the cost of living in Jakarta and what is the cost of schooling in Jakarta as i have a kid of 13 years

6million earning ???????????

1.   at least 500,000 per month for rent

2.   food one time at least 10,000 (10000*3*30) 900,000

3.    electricity & water 500,000 (may be less or more)

4.   travelling 2 time office (25000*2 or 10,000*2 depend) average 30,000 per day and per month 900,000 (better to buy own bike for 12 million- one time expense)

so total would be 2.8m (500,000+900,000+500,000+900,000) excluding personal exp mobile & clothing etc. u can include 1 million for more so it would 3.8m or round 4m.

u can save 2 million if you earn 6m and live as a bachelor in jakarta.

if you are single then i think

Jakarta costs.

Gas - bottle per month @ 80k each
Electricity - varies a lot but expect 400k
Rubbish/security - less than 200k/month in most places.
Water - 100k/month
Drinking water - 40k/month
rent - 10 to 30 million/year in a security controlled cluster unless you go daft.
Home food for me, wife and kid - 3 million would mean we went crackers. 2 million would be closer.

Booze will up that budget a lot.

There goes about 5 million (Ex booze)

In a village, a couple of million per month max easy.

Indeed. One can definitely save quite a lot with that much salary if one is not asking too much in terms of lifestyle. I mean, MUCH better then most of us Indonesians who can't even get IDR500,000 per months under a MUCH more rigorous working conditions.

I am among the lucky ones able to live in Jakarta with income of almost 6mill a month (give or take since I'm a freelancer, nonetheless. So for 8mill? I'm definitely in heaven), and still able to hire a maid, feed my kid, planning for his schools, Indovision for TV entertainment my wife's so crazy about, and having an always on internet connection that is critical for my business and gaming hobby.

What more could you ask? Travelings? Sure, who wouldn't want that? I could save for a few months and then off we go. Bars? Not my style since I'd rather be home playing games, reading books or sleep.

Etcetera. Just a point in case, is all.

:D

BB has a valid point there. I lived a pretty much Indonesian life for the fist couple of years out here so I kmow how lucky most westerners are with salary. Even the 'low' language mill pay would be considered very good by most working Indonesians.
An average villager in central Java gets Rp400,000/month and there are plenty of people in Jakarta on around a million or a lot less regardless of minimum wage rules.

mas fred wrote:

BB has a valid point there. I lived a pretty much Indonesian life for the fist couple of years out here so I kmow how lucky most westerners are with salary. Even the 'low' language mill pay would be considered very good by most working Indonesians.
An average villager in central Java gets Rp400,000/month and there are plenty of people in Jakarta on around a million or a lot less regardless of minimum wage rules.

well yeah i think mas fred is right, but it depends on the people it self if they do or  buy something outside his abilities it will never enough,

even for local 6mio is small................

weirdo wrote:

Old thread but handy so a bump doesn't go amiss.
I know many locals who live on around 2 million per month.
They tend to be pretty poor, ride old motorbikes and don't go out a lot.
Jakarta living requires a minimum of 5 million/month if you don't want to watch every penny.
Equally I know an expat on 33 million/month who doesn't save a thing. Personally, I think that's mad but not my life so, up to him.

Couldnt more agree with you, mas fred.....

mas fred wrote:
weirdo wrote:

Old thread but handy so a bump doesn't go amiss.
I know many locals who live on around 2 million per month.
They tend to be pretty poor, ride old motorbikes and don't go out a lot.
Jakarta living requires a minimum of 5 million/month if you don't want to watch every penny.
Equally I know an expat on 33 million/month who doesn't save a thing. Personally, I think that's mad but not my life so, up to him.