Moving to Accra ( GHANA ) .. to know the Cost of Living & other info

Greetings!!

Request to you please help me to clarify below queries with reference to my movement to Accra ( Ghana ).

I have an offer from Melcom Travel &  Tours  ( Melcom Group ) as a Travel Manager. Final round of interview and the salary negotiation part is still pending.

Address:

ACCRA (HEAD OFFICE)
Otublohum street, North Industrial Area.
P. O. Box GpP 56,
Accra, Ghana.

Please clarify...

1. How is this company ( Melcom Travel & Tours ) to work with? Credibility? Job Security? Growth? Salary structure?
2. Is Ghana safe to stay with my family ( my wife and 04 year old son )?
3. Is good education/schools available for my son...is it expensive?
4. Is Family accommodation easily available? expensive? safe?....any particular areas for expats?
5. What will be the average cost of living for  - bachelor stay with company boarding and lodging... and for staying with Family on self paid accommodation.
6. Does Medical coverage is part of the salary and does it covers all medical expenses for self and family?
7. How is the Income Tax deduction work?

7. Please advise the essential things to negotiate with my employer to be included in my appointment letter
8. What should be the ideal Salary for the position of Travel Manager. I am an experienced Travel/Airline Sales & Operations professional with 14years of work experience. And currently employed with one of the international Airlines in India.

9. Also please help me with all additional informations I should be knowing about Ghana and expat life.

If possible please provide this information at your earliest as I have to meet my employer in couple of days.

Thanks & Regards
James Mathew
Bangalore
India

hi,
Melcom is a popular stores in Accra.Many Indian expats shop at Melcom.As far as your salary etc,you have to negotiate with your employer the best deal.Schools are little expensive.There are no Indian schools except DPS (Delhi public School)40km.away.

I am Moving to Ghana in next month what will be the cost of food, drink and entertainment for one person in Ghanna. All other expense will be provided by empolayer.

You got a very good job! As  you know, Melcom is the biggest mart in ghana.

But in Accra, the international school fee is very expensive.
If you don't worry about the malaria or cholera for your son, Accra is OK. But if your son is not used to malaria or cholera, and think about living together again.

Even I was very careful to avoid the mosquitos, I got malaria almostly every month and it is very painful. And the air polution is a little bit more than other places in ghana.

As I know, Abelenkpe area has water supply problem and electricity cut very often. And cantonments is the ideal place in Accra. One single room in Cantonments is approximately 100 cedis per month. While 3 bedroom house in Abelnkpe is 40 cedis a month.

When I got malaria, medicine costed 15 cedis. If I go to the hospital for that, it will cost more than 100 cedis.

Hi, Greetings...! Can you please share you contact. I wanna discuss few things with you about employment with Melcom. Regards, Chandru (9943399833).

I don't know where the person who mentioned accommodation costs was living but those are totally unrealistic! Single accommodation would be around $500 minimum for a room in a shared house and there probably would be utility charges on top of that. For a family you would be looking at $2000+ in an expat area.
If you are not getting a package that includes flights, accommodation, transport, school fees and medical I would not consider the job unless you are getting $6000+
Also if your employers are not providing accommodation you will have to find at least one year's rent up front.

Before you come to Ghana make sure that your employer takes care of your accommodation, transport, school fees, generator and diesel for it and you at least get a decent salary in  U$ around 5000 and up because the cost of living is very high in Accra. At least if your employer takes care of the abovementioned things you can spend your salary on food and other expenses. The food alone can cost you around 2000-3000cedis with a family depending what you are eating that's if you want to eat a well balanced diet. I am talking out of personal experience and calculations that I made since coming to Accra.

Totally agree. For expats the cost of living is very high in Ghana. I lived for 2 years in Tema and have relocated back to Nigeria. The electricity is unstable and could not supply stable power to run ACs. Generator is needed at a far higher cost in maintainance , fuel than in Nigeria. Same goes for the weak water supply. Very expensive. Expat food is compared to Nigeria also very expensive and good international schools are twice as expensive than in Nigeria. Overall the only advantage I enjoyed in Ghana was the "sanity" on the roads.

Have you been accommodated by your client if not then make sure to be accommodated before moving to ghana