New Years in Helsinki

Wondering if anyone can provide a little help for what to do / where to go in Helsinki over New years.

My girlfriend and I are staying for 4 nights (29th December – 2nd January) and plan to go to Senate Square for the fireworks for New Years Eve. I'm a bit concerned about where to eat that evening as a few people on the forum have said Helsinki can get incredibly busy during new Years. Is it advisable to book a table when we arrive in Helsinki or shall I try and book a table somehow much earlier? We've never been before so have no idea where to go. Could anyone recommend some restaurants that we could possibly go to (nothing too classy!)?
After 12, will it be easy to get into bars? Or will it be ticket only? I can't really face walking round a dozen bars trying to get in somewhere at that time of year! Again. If anyone can recommend a few good places, I would appreciate it!

We would quite like to do a boat tour and see some of the islands, can anyone recommend a good company to go through? Bearing in mind our length of time there we can't really go too far from Helsinki so a tour lasting a few hours would be ideal.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Steve

Oh Stevienet! Yes, you definitely should book a table in advance. The bigger clubs with live bands etc. will be sold out well in advance. The smaller bars don't sell tickets, but will be crowded.

There's a nice Spanish restaurant, Nuevo, right next to Senate Square http://www.royalravintolat.com/nuevo

If you want something more Finnish, try Juuri http://www.juuri.fi/en/ I haven't dined there myself, but I hear it is good.

As to boats, I'm not sure they do the tours that time of year...

But there's always the post-Xmas sales in the department stores and the museums. You could try skiing if there's snow. There's always ice at the skating rinks.

Thanks for your reply citizen 1! And thank you for your restaurant recommendations and suggestions, I shall look into them and hopefully book something.

I know everyone has different tastes but can you recommend any bars / clubs in Helsinki?

Thanks for your help!

How old are you?

Here goes...

If you like to dance:
Tiger (Urho Kekkosen katu)
Jenny Woo (Simonkatu)
Club YK (Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu 21)

Not grungy:
Teatteri (Esplanadi)
Kaarle VII (Kasarminkatu)
Kaivohuone (Kaivopuisto)

Huuma/Hurmio, Fredrikinkatu 48

Rock:
Lost And Found (Annankatu)
DOM Helsinki (Fredrikinkatu 42)
Tavastia Klubi (Urho Kekkosen katu 4-6)

The name of the club is first and the street in parentheses after it. Good luck!