Can I afford vancouver?

Hi

If you can give me any guidelines at all i would appreciate it

I plan to move to vancouver in 2007 with my wife and three children (teenagers)
I would have no accomadation costs apart from electricity , and tax.

I would be left after tax with $85,000 can anyone let me know if this is enough , we are not extravagant but still want to try any enjoy ourselves

appreciate any help

gordon

I'm living in Vancouver.  If you don't pay rent, then that is certainly enough to live.  Food is fairly expensive but it's not outrageous here.  Hope that helps you a bit.

Hi there,

Vancouver is pretty expensive.  If you live in one the suburbs it is a bit better.  To buy a house is VERY expensive.  A few years ago I lived in main Vancouver ( a great area called Kits) and we had a nice 2 bedroom condo.  That was around CDN$1400 a month for rent.  Now that was 5 years ago...I am sure it is way more now.  A friend just sold his house (quiet large) in an ok area...but not downtown....for almost a million dollars.  He is now renting a 2 bedroom in Yaletown (downtown and trendy) for over $2000.00 cdn a month.  Gas right now is 1.00 per litre, a new car would be around roughly $25,000.00, groceries for a family of 3 would be around 500.00 a month .. it varies as it depends where you shop.  If you want to look at real estate prices in our area, go to   www.mls.ca    they will give you lisitings in all of Canada.

Hope that helps a bit!

CAD85K is good money to live happily, that leaves you with CAD8K a month.
R u sure you have done homework with taxation, toleave 85K after tax means your gross shoud be close to 115K???
Well depends on some other factors also.
Are you already in Vancouver?
Cheers