Tamarin

I don't see anyone posting alot about Tamarin.

Is Tamarin a nice place to stay?  Is there alot of crime?  Are there good supermarkets?

Generally, I would just like to know your feelings on the area.

Thanks.

Tamarin is a very nice area. There's a shopping center, and several supermarkets. I don't think there is a lot of crime there.

There is a lot of expats around Tamarin and Flic en Flac

Thanks Julien.

Capetonian, I had to smile as I figure a South African would more likely ask that question than any other :-)

Jo Ann, I assume you are talking about the crime question?

I guess it comes as second nature to think about it. Although I must say that where I live now in South Africa (in a small little town in the winelands of the western cape)I really am not affected by crime. I've been living here for 8 lovely months, previously I was from Johannesburg and crime there is really hectic.

I know what you mean. I lived in Jo'burg (Sandton, actually) for 3 years. And while we were there, my street was closed by a gate, electric fences were installed around the neighbourhood... It all changed in my aread in lesst than 2 years :-/
But well, I assume that living in Sandton, I was better off than some other places...

I lived in Sandton, too, just for a pair of months...I come from Italy and I was not used to this amount of crime and fences and 24 hs security and so on...and we had a 10 months old baby...so...just looking to relocate to Mauritius to grant her a better life!;)
Rain

Is everyone going to Mauritius these days ??? :-P
Julien, can I crash at your place, just in case ???

Yes you are very welcome Jo Ann ... but I am quite far from Tamarin :D

Hi Capetonian

Tamarin is very nice and close to Black River where most of our South African counterparts have settled.

Unfortunately for most of them the are creating a mini South Africa with 10 foot walls and Security which is not necessary in Mauritius.

I would recommend having a look at the other cities as well. When I moved here in 2008 there was a waiting list of just over 30 000 south africans waiting for approval

Louis

louisj wrote:

Hi Capetonian

Tamarin is very nice and close to Black River where most of our South African counterparts have settled.

Unfortunately for most of them the are creating a mini South Africa with 10 foot walls and Security which is not necessary in Mauritius.

I would recommend having a look at the other cities as well. When I moved here in 2008 there was a waiting list of just over 30 000 south africans waiting for approval

Louis

Thanks Louis.

See highligted bit.  Are you talking about Tamarin or Black River.

The house we will be renting in Tamarin doesn't have loads of security but it is fully fenced, which is a requirement for me having two little ones.

Will definitely take your advice and explore other areas too.

I was more referring to Black river. I personally prefer the cooler areas like Rose hill and Beau Bassin

Also depends if you have to travel to work or is it just for holiday?

My husband will have to travel from Tamarin to Port Louis everyday.

Thats gonna be a lot of traveling. Its only about 25km but with traffic can be a good one hour in peak hour traffic

He is used to travelling. We used to live in Midrand and he worked in Sandton.

What time is peak hour?  5-7 ?

Yesterday, he left the office at 6 and took a slow drive to tamarin, also stopping for fuel, it took him 45mins.  Is this normal?

Hi

Well if he is already driving it then i suppose its fine. I assume 6 would be as bad as it would get

Tamarin is the safest place to live,
as you have notice there is not
bun on the street to slow cars on the
royal road.

I myself live in Flic en Flac in a complex,
there are a few bangalows available to
expat only.

My husband is already living and working in Tamarin and says it is fantastic, he really does love it.  He said it is the most expensive area tho and there are cheaper areas to live on the island but he likes Tamarin and says it will be great for our family.  We are joining him in just over 6 weeks on Sept 9th!!!  Our children will be attending La Bocage and Clavis International schools in Moka.

We visited Mauritius in April and it really is such a beautiful place but I'm sure it has bad points too...but can they be as bad as the UK at the moment?

:rolleyes:

tamarin is very nice area I like it

Well, I've been living in Tamarin for the past 4 months and have now also explored the island a bit.  I can honestly say that,in my honest opinion, Tamarin is the nicest area to live. 

I adore the beautiful mountains. I love being close to Tamarin bay to go body boarding with my little guy or to go for a peaceful dip at La Preneusse with my baby. The lovely beach of Le Morne is also close by.

I love that it is not too focused on tourists.

My husband, kids and I have settled in nicely and I think this is where we will stay. :cool::D

Hi CT,

Oh how envious I am on hearing of your enjoyment in Tamarin... my planned move to the island has been pushed out to December or maybe worse... January 2010.

Thanks for the update on the area, we can't wait to return soon as we need to do our medicals and submit for permits.

This time we would like to stay in Tamarin area to get a better feel for it.

Cheers for now,

Dylan and Wendy

Capetonian wrote:

I don't see anyone posting alot about Tamarin.

Is Tamarin a nice place to stay?  Is there alot of crime?  Are there good supermarkets?

Generally, I would just like to know your feelings on the area.

Thanks.

Tamarin is a really nice place, very quiet and lovely beaches.
Some nice place to eat.
I think you will feel at home here.
Good luck

i just moved to Tamarin because i figured that this is the place where i feel most comfortable.
Would anyone fancy meeting up for a glass of wine or a coffee at Bali Kopy, along from LondonWay on the main road? Thursdays and Fridays seem to be the nights where you can go there without pre-booking a table, unlike Wednesday and Saturday when they have event nights.
I could also do Mondays and Tuesdays, I live just 3 minutes from there.
Rudy

Hi Rudy
I am born Mauritian but live in France/Uk for the last 35 yrs. I am here for couple months. Found it difficult to connect with the local poeple I would not mind to meetup some time over a glass of wine/coffe.
tel. 9133796.
Bg

Depending on where you work. Tamarin is nice, though I live in Trou aux Biches and work in Grand Bay and we love it here. But we go from time to time to Tamarin to play beach volleyball as the beach there is perfect for that - flat and surfaced.