Engineer wants to move to Gibraltar

Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum and look forward to hearing from you.
My wife and I want to move to Gibraltar prior to our retirement (in 5 years). I am a qualified Maintenance Engineer with 40 years experience in the service and manufacturing industries.
I currently work in a state of the art waste to energy recycling plant and really enjoy this job.
I am happy to consider any job and would hope my experience could be of use any future employer.
My wife holds a Diploma in Housing and while she would like to put her skills to use she would also like to work in any administrative position.
We would love to hear from anyone who would be interested in utilising our skills.

Hi GeorgeRodger!

Welcome to Expat.com!
What do you like about Gibraltar?

Regards
Armand

Sooo many things. I love Spain, the weather, the pace of life, being near the water, being lazy - the principal language is English and the lifwstyle a move could offer me.
I am very concientious and would give anyone who employed me 100%.
Do you live in Gibraltar?
George

No, I live in Mauritius.

I was just wondering what would make the other expats want to follow your path to Gibraltar.

I wish you good luck
Armand

GR - how much time have you spent in Gibraltar??

I have only been to Gibraltar on holiday a few times but feel it is a place I could easily work and live in.

GeorgeRodger wrote:

Sooo many things. I love Spain, the weather, the pace of life, being near the water, being lazy - the principal language is English and the lifwstyle a move could offer me.
I am very concientious and would give anyone who employed me 100%.

I wrote a long reply to Blulagoon which you may wish to read.

But in response to yours:

I am rather puzzled about your first comment.  I thought Armand asked what you liked about Gibraltar.  Not whether you loved Spain. Most of your comments could reflect anywhere on the warmer parts of the Mediterranean coast.  With the exception of the fact that the official language in Gibraltar is English.

I have only been to Gibraltar on holiday a few times but feel it is a place I could easily work and live in.  George

As you have obviously visited Gib, I am sure you are also aware that most people in the street speak Andalucian Spanish or llanito.  While it is not necessary to understand or speak Spanish/llanito, you would gain far more respect from Gibraltarians if you did.  Just saying, for information.

I'm not sure what you mean about the lifestyle.  Do you envisage being cooped up in a small flat, unemployed with your savings rapidly dwindling?  Are you planning on renting or buying?  Keeping your place in the UK?  Were you thinking of living in Spain and commuting across every day? Perhaps in one of those lovely villas we all saw on A Place in the Sun?

My partner was lucky and walked into a job immediately (skilled construction).  We know two qualified engineers, one of whom was delivering newspapers for £6 an hour.  The other works for around £8 an hour in his trade.  If that's what you are looking for, then go for it.  Try Serco.

I've got an MBA and worked at a senior management level in the health service and the civil service.  I haven't yet found a remotely related job.  I applied for a low level admin job with the MOD and didn't even get an interview.  They also wanted every single piece of paperwork to prove my quals to be submitted with the application.

The Gibraltar economy and employment situation is unique. You can not just walk into a job here because you are British, speak English and are well qualified. Far from it.  Some people are lucky, like my partner.  Others are not.  This is a place with low wages and high rents.  Because, unless you have been a gib res for more than three years, you are not eligible to go on the government housing list.  And when you do, you may have to wait nine years like one of our friends.

And on the employment front, the competition is huge.  Northern and Eastern Europeans who all speak English fluently, invariably Spanish as well, their native language and who knows whatever else.  Moroccans who are qualified, resourceful and multi-skilled - can speak up to five languages.  Spaniards and Portuguese cross the border every day, doesn't matter whether they speak English as they can all converse in Spanish with Gibraltarians.  Their economies are bad.  They will work for low wages and regularly undercut the so-called going rate for any trade. 

Your best plan is to get something organised from the UK if you can, using a company that works in Gibraltar and maybe prepared to give you assistance with relocation.  All the public sector employers are your other options, eg Gibraltar Health Authority, the MOD/Serco as said above, GibDock, Gib Elec, Agua Gib, and some of the local air con firms are often looking for people.

Good luck.