Explore the countryside?

I am new to this city. Previously I taught English in Zunyi for 3 years - much smaller and an easy place to get to know people. I now wonder if it will be the same here? In a city like this, it is so easy to be invisible and lost, on many levels.

Anyway, this is what is called being proactive in wishing to meet people and hopefully make new friends; although the word 'friend' is too loosely used these days. But must start somewhere.

I'm not really interested in visiting places where westerners hang-out; I don't need to drink Guinness or Heineken at inflated prices, although I wouldn't say no to a good German beer. What I really want is to get into the countryside. If you're up for this, please get in touch.

Geof

Hello Geof and welcome to Expat.com!

Harmonie.:)

We don't have nice countryside here, the best part of Guangzhou is some old lane or streets with lots local restaurants, with the local brand "Zhujiang(Pearl River) beer".

Ur words about "friend" seems quite sad, im some kind of business guy will say "hello my friend" to someone new...>_<

Thanks for your welcome. I was thinking about the mountains outside of the city, I'm sure there must be some great views and fresh air there. Do you go there?

Geof

Cum to my hometown where has all u want: trees, mountains, fresh air, water n everything, haha

And where is your hometown???

GeofW wrote:

And where is your hometown???

Nanxiong Shaoguan, at the north of GD province.

There are a few lovely 'mountains', which I would rather call 'hills', in Guangzhou. For example, Dafu Hill in Panyu, Baiyun Mountain in Baiyun District and Maofeng Hill in northeastern Guangzhou. If you want to go a bit further, there are Nankun Mountain in Huizhou (http://www.yododo.com/area/1-01-05-16-1219) and Danxia Mountain in Shaoguan (http://www.yododo.com/area/1-01-05-33-1289). You can actually live on or at the foot of the mountains to breathe in the fresh air.

There are also a few countryside excursions organised by Guangzhou agencies.

But make sure you always go there with a group. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I will explore these places but why do you suggest I only go there in a group?

Geof

What's more, if you go in a group, it will be easier to ask for help in a remote area where not many people can speak English.

Yes, you are right. I wounldn't want to get lost :(

Thanks

you don't need to be in a group to go to Dafu or Baiyun, and i wouldn't call them countryside, they are more like big parks.
The Danxiashan near Shaoguan are rather far from GZ, you cannot go there for a sunday afternoon walk, and though the area is much bigger than Dafu or Baiyun, they still fit in the park scheme and are filled with people on weekends.
It seems that the notions of "countryside" and "take a walk" are almost completely unknown to chinese people, so unless you have a car, it will be hard for you to get to a wild area not designated for mass tourism

Hi,

Thanks for that information. I guess I will have to find someone with a car. However, I'm sure the parks are very nice and if I go there early, there will not be so many people.

Thanks

Geof

Guangzhou is not another Yorkshire Dales or Provence. It looks more like a 'highly developed' industrial city.

You can have a bird view of the paddy fields from somewhere on Xiqiao Mountain in Foshan's Nanhai District. The terrace fields coiling up the Longji Mountain (known as Longji Terrace Fields or Longji Ti Tian in Pinyin) in Guangxi's Longsheng County is quite a magnificent view. If you are keen to see the paddy fields in southern China, you can spend three to five days there, just keep wondering along the paddy fields in the daytime and admiring the star-studded sky at night.

But these are places packed with tourists. To explore new scenic countryside destinations around Guangzhou, you may need to have a car, and probably speak a bit Cantonese so as to communicate with local people when you get lost.

And...it is always safer to travel with a few friends.

Hello,

Many thanks for your advice. It sounds like you have visited the Yorkshire Dales? Yes, there are so many wonderful places in China. I lived in Zunyi for 3 years and enjoyed the mountains around there. Of course travelling takes time and money. Sometimes one has the time but not the money and then other times one has the money but not the time. I also really need a good guide with local knowledge, I am not adventurous enough to go on my own.

You have been to the UK?

Geof

I stayed in Britain for one year....And yes, I have been to the Yorkshire Dales. I think Britain has the most beautiful countryside among those places I have ever visited. I don't quite like the windy weather, though. Nothing is perfect.

I agree with you about the time and money theory. That's why I need to work hard now. I need to pay for my travel expense.

Are you a British?

Hi,

Yes I am British, I know the Yorkshire Dales very well and you are right, very beautiful but can be very cold and windy. However lovely on a good day. Do you know the books and the TV series "All Creatures Great and Small"? by James Herriot. It is true life series about a vet who worked there. I recommend you try to read the books or watch the series. They are lovely stories. Also there was a TV series called Heartbeat, set in the sixties. Again they are lovely stories set in such lovely countryside in the Yorkshire Dales. I hope you can see them.

Geof

If you'd like to email me, you can at [email protected]

It is the first time I have ever heard of these stories. But I bet they are lovely ones as you recommend them.

My email address is [email protected]. But I can be a friend for conversations and advice, not a companion. :)

Hi Geof,

I came across your post here. I found something that might be of your interest. Please check the following link: http://worldwidephotowalk.com/walk/guan … e6%9d%91/#

Xiaozhoucun is a traditional village. I haven't been there myself, but I saw some interesting photo taken by a friend of mine. It isn't mountain-type countryside, or anything wilderness, but it offers something very different from the busy city / urban life.

The registration is for taking photos for the image competition. If your hobby includes photography, that is great. If not, I am sure you could just tag along for just wandering around. There are some other locals and expats going on that day, so it would be a good opportunity to meet some new people.

I am going on Sat. And hopefully that is something you would enjoy and perhaps see you there.

Cheerio :-)

Hi Geof

So far it doesnt seem like there is much country-side around here. for that its better to travel somewhere. Last time i was here me and my friend went to Yunnan, it was quite nice and is about a 1.5 day train ride away.

I used to live in Panyu ( a southern suburb in GZ) and there you can find a much more relaxing atmosphere. I enjoy going through the town much more then i do in GZ. Although GZ does have some great places to wander through if you go down all the streets that look like "your not supposed to be here" for a foreigner.

also dont worry about getting lost its the best way to find something interesting / new. plus these days get yourself an Android and preload any maps so even with no phone or internet you can always find you way out of anywhere with GPS. its really helpful.

I am also interested in exploring random places that are further away from the city but it seems that GZ is a never ending city....

i am also interested in visiting some (trashed locations) if anyone knows, like a dump for GZ or places that are normally hidden from view for some picture taking and general .. interest.

along with abandoned buildings, towns or anything like this.

does anyone have any info on something like this?

Hi, thanks for the information. Yes, I think I will have to explore Panyu. As for getting lost, technology is not my answer, I just hope for the best and follow my instinct and my nose. If worse comes to worse I'll get a cab.

Like you, I've come across some really interesting old and narrow streets just by following my curiosity.

Geof

oh...sorry i found your post late...
we just had a very nice countryside 1day trip last week.
visited an old village in the mountain. and did some hiking.
actually, there're many lovely countries around GZ. and they're not so difficult to get to.(well, i mean not so difficult for a local people...)
i like visiting small places, walking and hiking, maybe i can write some advice about that later.
later, a little bit busy these days...