Moving to malta?????????????

i'm looking into moving malta from manchester, i have 2 children 9 and 6 my main concern is it the right choice for them and can you just take them out of school into another one? please help xx

In my opinion, children when presented with the truth and facts can thrive very well under new conditions. Of course they will need the love and support from you. You would need to understand that there will be highs and lows. The lows will pull at your heart stings when your 9 year old begs to return to the familiarity of his friends and school routine of the U.K.

However you being available and supportive will calm the storm. From what I can tell, the beauty and warmth of Malta might be enough to entice them to happiness.

Good Luck

Hi... check very carefully the school situation regarding your children... some friends who came here at the beginning of this year have been unable to get their two into full time education here until this coming term ... so nearly 7 months of home tuition was required as many schools apparently only take any new intake at the September year start!

Hi tina, we arrived here in June just before the maltese schools broke up for summer but decided our daughter who is 6 would benefit from starting a fresh new school year.

It has been pretty straight forward getting her into a state school in st paul's bay and the staff were lovely and helpful an we got to go and see the school before choosing to admit her there.

It was a case of deciding the school best for her needs then going to the ministry of education signing some forms and she is now starting at the end of sept here.

Kids do adapt and although im nervous for her and her first day,she is quite looking forward to it as she loves school and wants to make friends and also wants to go dancing here.

The people on the forum are very helpful and friendly and i'm sure you'll have most of your questions answered

good luck
Bev

mikea wrote:

Hi... check very carefully the school situation regarding your children... some friends who came here at the beginning of this year have been unable to get their two into full time education here until this coming term ... so nearly 7 months of home tuition was required as many schools apparently only take any new intake at the September year start!

This is a much easier situation for younger children,  for teens this is a nightmare as they are isolated from the friends they knew and it is very difficult to make new ones when not at school/college.

It is worth asking about getting the kids in early as they will be in primary school, which is not as difficult to start part of the way through the year.  For college it is absolutely no as they follow a strict curriculum through the year and do not feel it is beneficial for the student to join having missed so much.  Perhaps just a couple of weeks late and they would be more flexible.

Regarding Secondary, they similarly prefer to start with the new school year but if you haven't missed too much of it they will be more flexible.  Once you have missed half the year, you will have to wait for the new one.

If they have to wait a long time to start, try to get them out and about into local clubs etc, although this can be restrictive as it can become expensive to join everything.  They can possible meet a few people nearby before they start school.

At the age of 6 your daughter should do very well, they are extremely adaptable at that age, and your timing was perfect.
Good luck.
x