New to Istanbul, Possible English Book Exchange Club...?

Hello,

I have just recently moved to Istanbul from the US and am flying through the books I have brought. I am thinking of starting an English book exchange club to maybe meet monthly or bi-weekly. Good way to get fresh reading material without having to buy new and make a few new friends and contacts :)
Any thoughts....?

Hi and welcome to Expat.com RachelP!

That's a great idea.
I hope you will obtain many positive responses ;)

Regards
Armand

Absolutely brilliant idea :) I will definitley be up for that when i arrive!!

its realy good idea.
what kind of book u read?

That is an awesome idea! I've been here a month and have already started building up my English book collection from the small sections of D&R book stores but would love more variety. It doesn't help that all my English colleagues have Kindles...not that far ahead in NZ :)
So yeah, I'm up for it.

That's a great idea!!! Count me in :) I've been in Istanbul for 5 years so I have quite a collection!

Good thinking, I would like to share books

This is a great idea :-) Ive had the same problem, but its an excuse to start a book shelf in my new apartment...keep us updated.

S

What would be a central location for everyone...? And a convenient time? Im thinking September 18th or the 25th in the afternoonish....?
Thoughts..

sound good to me, we have moved over istanbul from uk in june this year and love it,!!

Hi there,

So good to hear from people who have recently moved to Istanbul and loving the place! I'll be moving just after Christmas and would love to catch up :-) What areas do you guys live in? We're gonna be in Istanbul in 2 weeks time to look around for a house and a baby doctor (as I'm pregnant). We've never been before so looking forward to being in touch and hearing about your experiences and adventures! We've heard many good stories from people who've been to this great city so can't wait to explore it ourselves :-)

Susanne

hi,
we moved from uk,and live in pendik, asia side, we love it here, my husband works not far away boat company,

Hi Rachel, 18th afternoon is good for me, maybe 3 PM. I guess somewhere near Taksim should be convenient for everybody.

Yeh Sunday avo would work. Taksim sounds like a good central area.

Great idea.. count me in :)

How about taksim this sunday (or we can postpone till next sunday if people need more time) at either noon or 630 pm (I have a lesson from 4 to 7) let me know what worlast for everyone!

In Taksim, where?

Hey guys,

I don't arrive until end sept so i will probably miss the first one :( but definitley up for the next one!

Should we say 12.30 tomorrow then. I don't know Taksim well but should we meet at the square? Marmara Hotel maybe and go somewhere from there? What you guys think??

I would say 11.30 AM, and at the Starbucks adjacent to Marmara hotel so that whoever comes early can wait inside there :)
Are we bringing books in the first meeting?, I have none as of now but will be buying a few soon.

Ok well I'll try get there then but I have church at 11 in Taksim so probably won't make it. Next time though.
Sweet :)

all the best for the good start dear....keep smiling :)

There is a book exchange off of Istiklal Caddesi called Ebru. It is on the same side street as Babylon next to a restaurant called Şebender. Part of it is run like a library where you can check out books to be returned later and the other part is you can just take books from. Being an avid reader I have been able to save stacks of cash by using this place :)

The English Book Exchange in Tünel (EBRU) is in the same street as Babylon and opposite Otto restaurant. It is opened every workday(not in the weekend) from 17.00-19.00.
Feel free to join us there.
Ciao
Kees

I have also been told that there is a weekly book exchange on Sundays at Java Cafe in Sultanamet. Two blocks west of the bottom of the Hippodrome on Su Terazisi Sok. I have not been to check it out yet but intend to. I guess it goes from 1430/1500 to 1700/1800 ish.

Yes I have heard that too, but I never went because EBRU is in my area.
Ciao
Kees