Primary state school

Hello, I would like to ask about public primary school in Sliema, St. JulianŽs. If there is any and if there is somebody with experiences with public schools. Are there classes in English or Maltese? Is there a possibility that my 7 years old son could go to such a school with the basis of speaking in English? Thanks in advance for any answer.
Linda

Hi Linda,

My son is in Sliema's Government school and everything is fine actually. They talk both English and Maltese. There is no needs to worry, children learn very fast and better than us.

I believe it is a "plus" to talk a thirs language :)

Regards

Thanks very much for your reply. I hope that he will be the one who will be first adjusted to new place to live as he is only 7 :). Is there anything about what should we be aware when going to public school? Do they use buses to collect the children or you have to organize the transort by yourself? Did your son go through some exams when you wanted to put him to school?  Was it hard to get him to school - I mean - did you have to meet some requests? Thanks. Linda

Hi Linda

My son is only 6 and a half years old either :)
He will updates to other children and all will come naturally for sure.

Regardind public school, there are buses yes, every day and they get your child to your door, as they pick him up every morning.

I don't have the prices but it might be cheap as it is a public service for the children.

About the administrative parts if I remember well, I had to give them :

Your son :
-Birth certificate
-Baptismal certificate
-List of vaccins (from your doctor)

You :
-Passeport/ID card
-ID card (maltese) they might give you some time to apply for it.
-Bill showing your current maltese adress

School time is from 8.30 to 2.30pm from monday to friday.

You will need to buy the uniform that is required for the school. Each school required a uniform and a PE kit.

You send your child with a bottle of water + lunch every day.

That's all what you need to know actually :)

If you need more details, feel free to contact me.

Regards

Hello thanks very much for info. I would like to ask about -Baptismal certificate - is it as must? Because we donŽt have anything like this..  I think that our moving will be end of this year, maybe beginning of 2012 as we have to arrange a lot of things here, so I will ask you if something will come up in that time. Thanks and have a nice day.Linda