Permesso di Soggiorna

Ciao,
This is my second year of stay in Milano and I had my Student Permesso di soggiorno. I applied for its renewal since my first Permesso expired in the last week of August. I went to Post Office and submitted my application, then went to Questura, submitted the documents and gave my finger prints and in return got the receipt to collect my renewed Permesso di Soggiorno on 10th October.

Since I am a student, I need to go to Germany and Poland to attend a scientific conference (3 days each) in this month (September). I was wondering if I can travel with this receipt and the expired Permesso and my Passport (Indian) to attend this highly significant meeting. I just have one more week to decide. Please suggest me advice and some helpful procedure.

Grazie Mille,
Ciao

Ciao,
I'm in the same situation you are right now.  I've applied for my Permisso di Soggiorno renewal and was told by the Questura that I cannot travel outside of Italy until I get my new Permisso.  I further checked with my commune and they told me the same thing, based on international treaties/agreements they can't do anything that would allow us to travel since the receipt is only recognized in Italy as a valid document.  I was told however that I could travel back to my country that I am a citizen of but I would have to find a non-stop flight to avoid problems passing through other countries customs.  Sorry for the bad news.

I got it fixed yesterday. Went to Questura with the invitation letter (from conference), booked flight tickets, passport copies, Marca da Bollo (14.62 Euro) and 4 recent photographs. It took a while (5 hours of long patience) but finally received my temporary permesso di soggiorno (valid for 3 months). Now I can travel easily.

Glad to know you found a way to make the system work for you

Andy W wrote:

Ciao,
I'm in the same situation you are right now.  I've applied for my Permisso di Soggiorno renewal and was told by the Questura that I cannot travel outside of Italy until I get my new Permisso.  I further checked with my commune and they told me the same thing, based on international treaties/agreements they can't do anything that would allow us to travel since the receipt is only recognized in Italy as a valid document.  I was told however that I could travel back to my country that I am a citizen of but I would have to find a non-stop flight to avoid problems passing through other countries customs.  Sorry for the bad news.