New Chiropractor in Zagreb??

Greetings everyone!  My boyfriend is a Chiropractor and is considering purchasing a practice in Zagreb.  He has asked me to do some research on Zagreb and what it's like to live there.  So, here I am. 

1)  Is anyone a health care practitioner from the US or Western Europe?'

2)  What is the general attitude in Zagreb when it comes to "alternative"
     health care options? 

3)  I read that, in addition to Croatian, many Croats speak German,
     English or Italian.  How accurate is that?   I am already bilingual
     with English and German.

4)  How difficult would it be for me to get a work visa? 

5)  I'm a biologist, where would be a good place for me to
     begin a job search?

Thank you everyone for your help in advance!!  Maybe we'll be seeing you soon!  :-)

Hello!

I received your request for Zagreb info concerning chiropractic, etc. in Zagreb.
I currently own a successful practice in Zagreb and am considering selling due to health and age issues.

A work visa is no problem if you have an employer or potential employer here...........for instance, your husband could hie you if he owned a practice here.

You are correct about people speaking multiple languages here, but it is best to learn the Croatian language as well.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you.

My email is  [email protected]    and would rather conduct our conversations that way to start with......then possibly Skype, and if you are interested, eventually a visit would be good......especially spring or fall  (not August).

Sincerely,

Robert Lon Johnson, DC

In addition to what DocRocks said, I'll just add a couple of things.

One, I would definitely be interested in chiropractic. Generally, I think people here are receptive to alternative medicine, and there is an expat community here that you could tap into as well. (I'm sure by posting here you've already thought of this!)

Regarding visas, getting a work visa is a bit difficult if you want to work for a Croatian employer, because, as I understand it, they must make a case for employing you. In other words, they have to justify employing you instead of a Croatian national. If you have a very specific skill set, this would definitely help you (and your potential employer) out. You didn't say exactly what sort of work you are looking for, but my suggestion would be to contact someone at the University of Zagreb, especially if you are looking for a teaching position. I believe that it's much easier for people to work here if they are coming to teach at a university. More on visas here: http://www.mup.hr/1266.aspx

And, yes, most people here do speak some English (if not advanced English), but I would also recommend learning some Croatian. I've taken classes at Croaticum and was really pleased with their tutors.