Which Country Do You Like?

Hi Everyone!

I am currently living in Canada. My husband's company would like to send us on an expat assignment in the summer of 2012, and they have asked that we indicate those countries in the gulf we would be most interested in moving to. I was hoping to get some feedback from you about which gulf countries you like/don't like and why.  We have young children, and are not drinkers, so nightclub life, accessiblity to alcohol are not issues for us.  It would be nice to be somewhere that is safe, easy for me to get aroudn with the kids, good schools, and has a variety of family friendly activities.  So far Kuwait and Qatar sound like reasonable choices, as I've heard they are very safe and have some activities for families.

Am very interested in all your feedback!

Hi,

Considering what's important for you (safe, good schools, easy to get around with the children, family friendly activities) Kuwait and Qatar are good choices so far; you're on the right track :) I think that's where most expat families travel to, in the Gulf; other than the UAE. From what I hear, Qatar is beautiful and it seems to have a secure and family-oriented lifestyle and has a good education system. I can't say much about the cost of living; I'm not sure if there is much of a difference in regards to that, between Kuwait and Qatar.

I was going to recommend the UAE as a third choice but seeing as how nightclub life and accessibility to alcohol are not issues for you, then I think it would be best to stick to either Kuwait or Qatar. When I visited Dubai, I actually felt that it was soulless in comparison to Kuwait. I found it to be a little too overwhelming whereas Kuwait is a bit more cozier and has a bit more culture I find.

Wish you all the best in your move to the Gulf!

SaharEl,

Thank you for this very informative response, it is very helpful indeed :)

the best advantage to you (since you area  Canadian) is that you can get visa at the immigration .no need for long procedures to collect documents or anything like that,you may go to Dubai or Qatar  or any other of these neighboring countries during weekends if you want to,visa wont be a problem for you.

life is pretty good here,but it get boring at times.with your family i dont think you will get bored.

feel free to ask anything

Kuwait is an amazing place! Thats all I can say. Great malls, great side walks and beaches, great cafes and downtown. I love it here so much. Generally, people here are very hospitable and friendly. :)

good luck.