Nuts and bolts of container shipping to PR

I'm planning my move and will be shipping furniture from one of the ports in New England.  Once it arrives in PR, what happens?

There is an excise tax - where and when is it paid?

How do I get this huge crate to my apartment?

How do I find a trustworthy mover to assist in the transport from the Port to Condado?

How long are the lines, is there is a lot of bureaucratic nonsense at the port to retrive the container?  Do I only go to the Port Office or is there another location I will need to visit?

Is the port the port south of Miramar or the one near Puerto de Tierra?

Thx for any assistance!

First of all, it will take longer than expected, it always does. Your gear comes into a local shipper who will or should be able to truck it to. Keep all phone numbers! Call often, getting things to happen can be very slow in PR. Bring a GPS with you so you can find your way around, no one uses addresses in PR, so a GPS is essential. good luck!!

If your mover can't provide you with all that information you may be in trouble.

We were fortunate in being able to procure the services of a Puerto Rican moving company. Our stuff got to PR in two weeks. It took another week to get it delivered to the western side of the island.
It would have gotten here sooner but one of their delivery trucks caught on fire and caused a delay. The tarrifs cost us $24 and our stuff didn't sit on a dock or a warehouse. We met another couple who used a container company. Their stuff got here in a week but they had to find a way to get it shipped from San Juan to Moca. It cost them about $2,000 more than they were originally told. Once they got the container to their house they had to unload it themselves and only had a certain time period in which to do it. Stick with a Puerto Rican mover whenever possible. The wheels are already pre greased for them and it gets done quickly. Oh, and buy insurance. They won't be gentle with your stuff.

Gregg

Hello,

You may contact our Mover partner : https://www.expat.com/en/movers/central … erto-rico/