Public transportation in Lithuania

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Lithuania ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Lithuania?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hello,

there is the information.

Public transport development is very dependent from local government. And it is very simple to understand- quite good public transport is developed in 3 biggest Lithuanian cities: Vilnius, Kaunas and Klaipeda. In all this cities public transport consist of busses, trolleybusses, shuttle taxi (it's small busses of around 12 seats and they have their  route which is usually like busses, but they are much faster and stops just there where people ask) and taxi.

Fare for driving with busses or trolleybusses is reasonable especially if you are the student. Taxi fare as well is not too high as in Western Europe (Attention: most of taxi drivers are not very fair and if they see foreigner, price can be higher up to 3 times!).

Just for example:
Monthly ticket in Vilnius to drive with busses and trolleybusses for student costs 22 LTL (it is around 6.5 EUR).
Monthly ticket in Vilnius to drive with busses and trolleybusses
for every person which don't get any discounts (seniors or something like that) costs 110 LTL including weekends (it is around 32 EUR).
One time ticket without any discounts is 2 LTL (it is around 0.60 EUR).
Taxi fair per 1km depends from taxi company but at this time it is from 1.20 LTL to 2 LTL (if you go at night). So from 0.35 EUR to 0.60 EUR. And taxi is more expensive if you sit in the taxi at airport, but one more time- be careful because they can fool you.

The most I use my own car because it is much faster than use public transport. I live in suburb so I need 1 hour to go to the city center. With a car it is done in 15-20 minutes if you don't go on the rush hours. Rush hours are very problematical so from 7 A.M. and then from 4 P.M. it is hard to get to your destinantion in short time so sometimes you need to set up your route or choose better time to drive.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or write me PM. It will be pleasure to me to answer to your questions. :)

Thanks for these useful info minde!;)

Harmonie.

Few days ago the system of Vilnius public transport changed. You should give a visit and take a look to this: http://www.vilniustransport.lt/en/

:top: